Will H.264 Rips Get Outdated?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rick3000, Dec 30, 2008.

1. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Hi,
    I have been ripping my DVD collection over the past week in preparation for getting an AppleTV (I'm waiting till after MacWorld). I have about 55 TS_Folders right now and am planning on ripping them with the HandBrake AppleTV preset in H.264.
    It just occurred to me that as MPEG4 is being replaced by H.264 as the preferred way to encode, when H.264 is replaced by the next new codec what will happen to all the DVD rips? Will everyone re-rip all their DVD's?
    I am trying to figure out if I should leave the TS_Folders on my drive or delete them and just keep the smaller H.264 files.
    Thanks!

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Consider ripping with the Universal preset if you ever might want to watch the video on a portal apple device like an iPod. If not, then go with the Apple TV since it will generate smaller file sizes (quality will be the same).

While there are always improvements, Handbrake is at a point where in generates video that is visually identical to watching the dvd in my opinion as long as you are not standing right in front of the TV analyzing every pixel. I don't see how the quality is really going to be increased so their might not need to be a need to re-rip anything...unless of course there are some major benefits like massive file size reduction or something to that affect.

As for audio, we now have dolby 5.1 AC3 passthrough which is the exact audio that is on the DVD (unless of course the DVD only has DTS, then that is a different story but usually is not the case).

As for the Video TS folders, if you want to store them somewhere buy a cheep external hard drive so you they will be all in one place. Not a bad idea actually.