Will Haswell MBP have the USB 3.0 bug that has been reported?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tkjazzer, Apr 9, 2013.

  1. bobcan macrumors 6502a

    bobcan

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny but Cold.. Canada
  2. jNSK macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2013
    #3
    It's quite a deal-breaker for a Pro laptop. They will wait until the issues with the chipset are fixed. It is likely that Intel will bring out a second batch after the initial release.

    The issue is with the chipset, not the CPU.
     
  3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
  4. paul-n macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2012
  5. 77slevin macrumors member

    77slevin

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Location:
    Belgium
    #6
    So...you're hoping it will have the bug? Huh??
     
  6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

    Mr. Retrofire

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    Location:
    www.emiliana.cl/en
    #7
    Unlikely. Development versions use probably the C1 stepping.

    Intel writes here
    (the customer is usually Apple, Dell, HP, ...)

    and

     
  7. splitpea macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Among the starlings
    #8
    The latest reports seem to suggest that the bug isn't as big a deal as a lot of people originally thought. Basically, with *some* thumb drives, if you leave them plugged in when you sleep the computer they won't be recognized on wake and you have to reconnect them.

    So:

    • Non-crashing
    • No data loss
    • Only thumb drives
    • Not all thumb drives
    • Only for a very specific use case (leaving them plugged in during sleep)
    • Workarounds exist (unplugging / replugging drive upon wake)
    • EVERYTHING else USB3 reportedly works fine

    This is a very specific use case that most people will very rarely run into. If you're someone who frequently sleeps their computer with thumb drives plugged in, this might not be something you want to buy. For the rest of us, it's not a big deal.
     
  8. unobtainium macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2011
    #9
    Yes, but isn't the fix due at the end of July or something? So the earliest we could expect a refreshed rMBP would probably be August/September, unless Apple decides to ship with the flaw.
     
  9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

    Mr. Retrofire

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    Location:
    www.emiliana.cl/en
    #10
    Correct. iWait for the Haswell Mac mini. :)
     
  10. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #11
    Just SOME thumb drives? I was under the impression that it was devices plugged into the USB, I.E. Printers, Ext drives etc. I can honestly say I have never left a thumb drive in while sleeping. As far as I can remember.
     
  11. splitpea macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Among the starlings
    #12
    Well, no, im not positive. The cnet article seems less specific than the one that was on the MR front page this morning, which seems to indicate only some thumb drives: http://www.slashgear.com/intel-begins-shipping-its-next-gen-haswell-chip-08276917/

     
  12. Pentad macrumors 6502a

    Pentad

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2003
    Location:
    Indiana
    #13
    I can almost guarantee they will not. When the SB bug was out, all of Apple's chips were stepping 2 or 3 so they had the CPUs with the fix.

    -P
     
  13. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #14
    But that probably means a delay, right?
     
  14. bobcan macrumors 6502a

    bobcan

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny but Cold.. Canada
    #15
    C'mon.. WHO doesn't love BUGS.. Gives us something non-sensible to discuss here about products that have not come to market yet, and I must thereby assume that people here think the Designers are 'almost oblivious and uncaring' as to what sludge they expel to the masses .. :D
     
  15. Pentad macrumors 6502a

    Pentad

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2003
    Location:
    Indiana
    #16
    Perhaps....but I think the delay will be very minor. Everybody thought the SB MBPs would be delayed or the early ones would have the bug. The MBPs shipped fairly early without the SB bug.

    -P
     
  16. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #17
    Agreed. Sandy Bridge had a problem with some of the SATA connections failing over time, IIRC. Intel identified the bug a couple of months before the product was released, and spent about one billion dollars ensuring that any company that requested fixed boards had them in time for them to release their products on schedule.

    Also, IIRC, the bug was such that Apple could have used the flawed boards, with no harm done, as it was a problem with the extra SATA 2 connections that the MBPs don't use anyway. But they still got the fixed boards, and were released without delay.

    I guess the last resort would be that Apple just uses a third party USB 3 board, instead of a native one, like they do now.
     
  17. unobtainium macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2011
    #18
    This situation seems different. Intel has stated that fixed chipsets would be available between Jul. 15th and 31st. Which to me, sounds like Apple won't be releasing updated Macs until at least August/September.
     
  18. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #19
    Hard to tell. I would however expect Apple to release the new models around the same time as other companies.

    Assuming Apple actually gets the new chipsets between the dates you specified, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple actually releases stuff around 2 weeks after they get them, i.e. early/mid August. They should have everything else ready by then, and just have to shove 'em together, and ship 'em out quick smart. :D

    Possibly with a slightly squishy shipping time.
     
  19. Serban, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

    Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #20
    Intel already said that the problem was solved on 1-2 april. So no device will have the issue. Because i think the production will begin late this month, so no.
     
  20. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #21
    Where did you read this? That is searching for news posts for days
     
  21. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #22

Share This Page