Will Haswell MBP have the USB 3.0 bug that has been reported?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tkjazzer, Apr 9, 2013.

1. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

2. jNSK macrumors newbie

It's quite a deal-breaker for a Pro laptop. They will wait until the issues with the chipset are fixed. It is likely that Intel will bring out a second batch after the initial release.

The issue is with the chipset, not the CPU.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

4. paul-n macrumors regular

5. 77slevin macrumors member

77slevin

So...you're hoping it will have the bug? Huh??

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Unlikely. Development versions use probably the C1 stepping.

Intel writes here
    (the customer is usually Apple, Dell, HP, ...)

and

7. splitpea macrumors 6502a

The latest reports seem to suggest that the bug isn't as big a deal as a lot of people originally thought. Basically, with *some* thumb drives, if you leave them plugged in when you sleep the computer they won't be recognized on wake and you have to reconnect them.

So:

• Non-crashing
    • No data loss
    • Only thumb drives
    • Not all thumb drives
    • Only for a very specific use case (leaving them plugged in during sleep)
    • Workarounds exist (unplugging / replugging drive upon wake)
    • EVERYTHING else USB3 reportedly works fine

This is a very specific use case that most people will very rarely run into. If you're someone who frequently sleeps their computer with thumb drives plugged in, this might not be something you want to buy. For the rest of us, it's not a big deal.

8. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Yes, but isn't the fix due at the end of July or something? So the earliest we could expect a refreshed rMBP would probably be August/September, unless Apple decides to ship with the flaw.

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Correct. iWait for the Haswell Mac mini. :)

10. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Just SOME thumb drives? I was under the impression that it was devices plugged into the USB, I.E. Printers, Ext drives etc. I can honestly say I have never left a thumb drive in while sleeping. As far as I can remember.

11. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Well, no, im not positive. The cnet article seems less specific than the one that was on the MR front page this morning, which seems to indicate only some thumb drives: http://www.slashgear.com/intel-begins-shipping-its-next-gen-haswell-chip-08276917/

12. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I can almost guarantee they will not. When the SB bug was out, all of Apple's chips were stepping 2 or 3 so they had the CPUs with the fix.

-P

13. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

But that probably means a delay, right?

14. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

C'mon.. WHO doesn't love BUGS.. Gives us something non-sensible to discuss here about products that have not come to market yet, and I must thereby assume that people here think the Designers are 'almost oblivious and uncaring' as to what sludge they expel to the masses .. :D

15. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Perhaps....but I think the delay will be very minor. Everybody thought the SB MBPs would be delayed or the early ones would have the bug. The MBPs shipped fairly early without the SB bug.

-P

16. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Agreed. Sandy Bridge had a problem with some of the SATA connections failing over time, IIRC. Intel identified the bug a couple of months before the product was released, and spent about one billion dollars ensuring that any company that requested fixed boards had them in time for them to release their products on schedule.

Also, IIRC, the bug was such that Apple could have used the flawed boards, with no harm done, as it was a problem with the extra SATA 2 connections that the MBPs don't use anyway. But they still got the fixed boards, and were released without delay.

I guess the last resort would be that Apple just uses a third party USB 3 board, instead of a native one, like they do now.

17. unobtainium macrumors 68000

This situation seems different. Intel has stated that fixed chipsets would be available between Jul. 15th and 31st. Which to me, sounds like Apple won't be releasing updated Macs until at least August/September.

18. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Hard to tell. I would however expect Apple to release the new models around the same time as other companies.

Assuming Apple actually gets the new chipsets between the dates you specified, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple actually releases stuff around 2 weeks after they get them, i.e. early/mid August. They should have everything else ready by then, and just have to shove 'em together, and ship 'em out quick smart. :D

Possibly with a slightly squishy shipping time.

19. Serban, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

Serban Suspended

Intel already said that the problem was solved on 1-2 april. So no device will have the issue. Because i think the production will begin late this month, so no.

20. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Where did you read this? That is searching for news posts for days

21. B... macrumors 68000

B...