Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I was mildly excited this summer when there was talks of HDR10+ coming in ios 16.

I went straight to prime video after downloading it, and couldn't find any content.

Now I am hearing that it is a "feature" of the 2022 revision. Is this true?

Are they really going to paywall HDR10+?

Very annoying if that is the case.

vdtl

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
Im curious about this too. Was pleasantly surprised when I heard tvOS 16 would support HDR10+ (I own a samsung TV). But now it seems like this is exclusive to the new apple tv

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Its Apple so most likely paywalled but unless you have a Samsung tv there’s no real reason to get it. Dolby vision is superior.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
unless you have a Samsung tv there’s no real reason to get it. Dolby vision is superior.
Well, unless you're ripping 4K HDR blu-rays and encoding with Handbrake, which will pass through HDR10 metadata but (AFAIK) not Dolby Vision metadata, meaning HDR Handbrake rips will only display in HDR using HDR10...

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
TBH, if you have Samsung TV you are probably better served with a streaming box running AndroidTV or a Fire TV Cube. The ATV 4K models are hampered by a lousy, buggy tvOS that doesn't play well with many apps, and other than Samsung TVs there is little else that uses HDR10+.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Its Apple so most likely paywalled but unless you have a Samsung tv there’s no real reason to get it. Dolby vision is superior.
There are apps like Prime that still provide HDR10+ content. So if you have a tv that supports both hdr standards you will benefit.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The ATV 4K models are hampered by a lousy, buggy tvOS that doesn't play well with many apps,

Can you elaborate? I run a ton of apps on my 4K and haven't had any problems or bugs other than those in the apps themselves which are app not Apple TV problems.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I think Prime is HDR10, but not plus.
Everything available in hdr10 on Prime is also available in hdr10+. It’s one of the few services that went all in on hdr10+. But now it seems they are moving to Dolby Vision.

vdtl

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
Doesnt look like the 2021 apple tv is getting HDR10+. I just updated mine and apple tv+ content still plays in HDR10, not HDR10+. On the other hand using the apple tv app on my samsung TV plays content in HDR10+

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
It appears the regular HDR flagged movies in the store are also being upgraded to HDR10+, as my Panasonic is compatible with all formats it’s making a potential upgrade to the new one a little more of interest.

3D7B2C06-6036-4C1A-AF67-89FF43A13CC1.jpeg

Reactions: vdtl and ikir

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
TBH, if you have Samsung TV you are probably better served with a streaming box running AndroidTV or a Fire TV Cube. The ATV 4K models are hampered by a lousy, buggy tvOS that doesn't play well with many apps, and other than Samsung TVs there is little else that uses HDR10+.
For streaming in my home I have:

Android TV native app on Sony TV

Latest chrome cast Android TV

Vizio version of cast

Tizen Samsung TV OS

PS5 streaming apps

Xbox series X streaming apps

Nvidia Shield TV

Apple TV 4k (2021)

The Apple TV is far, and away the best user experience of all of them. I never have any stutter, lag, or weird HDR issues. It just works, and the only real limitation is streaming 4k Blu-ray rips with Atmos to my home theater setup.

I keep a shield around for those rare instances, but otherwise the apple TV is the best of the bunch.

I have tried fire TV, but I hate the UI, so my 4k fire stick is in the drawer.

I think I just talked myself into buying a 2022 model ATV, and moving the 2021 out to my BBQ TV that is currently using a Chromecast.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well, unless you're ripping 4K HDR blu-rays and encoding with Handbrake, which will pass through HDR10 metadata but (AFAIK) not Dolby Vision metadata, meaning HDR Handbrake rips will only display in HDR using HDR10...

HDR10 and HDR10+ are not the same.

Ramonsterrr1981

macrumors member
May 9, 2019
Those statements are completely false. We’ve tried Chromecast with Google TV and hated it. Apple TV 4K always works well, apps are running buttery smooth, never lags, and yeah until now there was a lack of HDR10+ but the overall user experience is the best we’ve ever had. We’re upgrading to the new model for HDR10+ (but just because if we can have it, why not). But very happy ATV4K users who also own a Samsung tv here.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I‘m curious why so down on Apple TV? What buggy behavior have you run into? I’ve had every version of the Apple TV…with the newest arriving Friday😊 and it’s always been a stable platform for my use (streaming content).

With regard to Samsung TV’s. I’ve got a 4K Samsung TV and a 4K LG OLED. I think Samsung makes some fantastic TV’s, but with Samsung‘s choice not to include Dolby Vision support in their sets (ie I imagine they don’t want to pay the licensing fee), I won’t buy another Samsung set. Streaming a show in Dolby Vision on my LG vs streaming the same show on my Samsung (no Dolby Vision)….there is no comparison! HDR10+ is a nice addition to the 2022 ATV, but so little content to stream in HDR10+. It’s nice that Apple TV will stream some shows/movies in HDR10+, but no HDR10+ on Netflix to my knowledge and limited options on Prime Video…to my knowledge. If that changes…Samsung is back on my list of top options:)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.