Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Because so many people aren't satisfied with the iPhone's camera?

I'm utterly mystified. Gotta be seriously clueless to think there's a big market for such a thing. And they'd be competing with stand-alones, which is already a declining market due to (wait for it) ever-improving cellphone cameras.

Whatev.

faizanshakyboy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2011
Islamabad
Anyone can think of an idea like this. It would be cool to have a sweet camera on a phone. It's at this point that we separate the geniuses from the morons. A genius then thinks "wait, it is better and cheaper to just by a point and shoot camera". A moron actually makes this piece of junk.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
The only way this might sell is that it's small and has a xenon flash and costs no more than $2.99.

FIFY. Given that most people are satisfied with their phone's camera, the only way they'd buy something additional is if it's cheaper than a 12oz mocha.

Let me get this straight: They want me to pay $100 (I'm guessing) to improve something I'm satisfied with, and which will add extra bulk I'll have to lug around?

Yeah, right.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
A cool accessory would be a dock that converts your iPhone into an iPad. Nobody has thought of that. The iPhone has the processing power and is running the iOS, it would just need to be connected to a touchscreen that could interface with the iPhone and dock. The iPhone would be the computer, but the dock would convert it to tablet size.

In other words, a tablet that had a slot to put the iPhone...the iPhone would be your computer, and it would operate as a tablet when the iPhone is docked with the slate device docking station....

You would have all your information and programs on the iPhone, and never have to worry about inconsistencies across two devices. (ie no need for iCloud)

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
If this doesn't come equipped to interface with the Lightning Connector it's pretty much DOA.

Aside from that, the iPhone camera is pretty impressive as is. Unless this provides optical zoom or DSLR like interchangeable lenses, I'm not sure what it's really going to offer besides a "better" flash and more megapixels--both of which are arguably useless.

Where this could come in handy would be the iPod touch. It's camera isn't as good as the iPhone and doesn't have a flash at all. It would also make it possible to make the device essentially a stand-alone camera with apps. Not really a great thing for the phone, but for the iPod it could be more appealing.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
A cool accessory would be a dock that converts your iPhone into an iPad. Nobody has thought of that. The iPhone has the processing power and is running the iOS, it would just need to be connected to a touchscreen that could interface with the iPhone and dock. The iPhone would be the computer, but the dock would convert it to tablet size.

You mean like an Asus Padfone?

I'm going to hold off from being so critical until I actually see it. If the managed to get an apsc sensor in it and it came to no bigger than a Sony Nex camera with a xenon flash and full manual control then it would be awesome.
I'd be more interested if it was a polaroid addon so you could get instant physical prints.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If this is true, all I can say is FINALLY!!

The iPhone camera is great, but now that it has almost entirely replaced my point and shoot, I crave better quality sometimes. I hope this becomes a competitive trend.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
I haven't heard anyone complaining that the iPhone needs more megapixels... seems 100% useless.

The iPhone camera has a tiny lens and a tiny sensor (in surface area, which matters - not pixel count, which doesn't). Its low-light performance is appalling when compared to a real camera, and it has no depth-of-field.

I'm presuming this peripheral will feature a larger lens and a physically bigger sensor. That will greatly improve light-gathering ability. However, I don't see the point. If you want that, just use a real camera, rather than latching a bulky accessory to the iPhone.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
The macrumors article, the telegraph article and this thread are essentially useless. How about you all keep your opinions of this device and this man's music to yourself until more information is released?

I feeling a bit snarky after convening with my fellow Sydney rats.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
The only way this might sell is that it's small and has a xenon flash. No one cares about megapixels.

Sadly for the general user, that's what sells cameras. People goto Best Buy and they look at cameras. They pick the one with the most megapixels because more is better in the minds of most. It doesn't matter that the one with less may have a better CCD or offer better features. Consumers buy based on bigger and better numbers.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Where do I begin??? Even if the device is real and works - do we know if any of the iOS apps will handle 14MP files? I thought Apple only allows things to work with specs they deliver. Does the add-on help with image stabilization? Low light capability? Were people really not buying iPhone fives because they only do 8MP?? It sounds like a solution to a problem that really doesn't exist. Who knows when this will even show up to market. Rumor has it the 5S will be coming sooner than than later. You never know - Apple could bump the camera again too.

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Specs

The accessory will have a changeable lens mount with an included full sized 18 - 55mm lens using Nikkor optics, a semi-pro xenon flash, a view finder, independent lithium-ion battery, slot for High Density Secure Digital Memory cards up to 64 Gigabytes, a solid camera body with grips, roughly the size of a large potato, camera straps, an independent LCD display and a carry case. Expected retail price will be $800 US... wait a minute...

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
What would be really cool is if it lets you take a shot with both the built-in and add-on cameras simultaneously, and combines them into a 3D image.

Scratch that. I meant to say 3D movie.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Love how gullible people are.. If a celebrity endorses it, it must be great.

Looks like the latest trend is getting celebrities to endorse electronic products. first dre then ludacris and now will.i.am?

I'm sure it will sell for an outrageous price too much like the others.

This is even more funny because will.i.am isn't even recognized in the photography industry.. At least Dre and Ludacris can act like they know about head phones because they produce music, something that is actually associated with the products they are endorsing. Though to say they know how to make good head phones is akin to saying someone that can drive a car knows how to build a engine..might be in the same general category but they are significantly different from one another.

Apparently there are a lot of suckers out there. Honestly wouldn't surprise me one bit if this was successful, it's pretty sad the way many people worship celebrities.

Last edited:

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
How the hell did Will.I.am get where he is today. He can't sing, he can't rap and he sure as hell can't produce.

How do these people exist, or are they merely created to show us how **** the world is.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
I suppose if it has a decent lens, I might be useful
And also, as the lightning connector works both ways round, maybe this thing will be reversible too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.