Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
Im not 18, im 17, the account is under my moms name, my name might be on the account too as the user, but my mom is the one on the bills and such, She gave me her Social, I have my Cradit Card, and my social, and my account #'s ....Will they let me buy one on my own, my mom cant come with me to the launch, she has to work, but shes fine with me buying one.

Penguinwrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Edgewater, NJ
From what I understand, you need to become an Authorized Retail User (or whatever they actually call it) on your mother's account. This can be done at http://www.att.com. Otherwise, I think you ought to be good to go assuming you are upgrade eligible.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
From what I understand, you need to become an Authorized Retail User (or whatever they actually call it) on your mother's account. This can be done at http://www.att.com. Otherwise, I think you ought to be good to go assuming you are upgrade eligible.

Incorrect. Along with that you must be 18 or older. You need to sign a contract when purchasing a 3G. Legally no one under 18 can do this.

Penguinwrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Edgewater, NJ
Incorrect. Along with that you must be 18 or older. You need to sign a contract when purchasing a 3G. Legally no one under 18 can do this.

Legally speaking, technically, he wouldn't be. He would causing an extension on an existing contract to which his mother's name is bound, and by making him an Authorized Retail User (I really might just be butchering what they actually call it) she has given him the authority to do that, as far as AT&T is concerned.

pyn

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Hi, I am in a similar situation and I waited 3 hours in line and got rejected from the Apple Store. Store Manager insisted that you had to sign a new contract, even though I told her the situation should be the same as last year where it just extend 2 years and I did everything myself without acct holder signing anything. Any ideas? I think I might try an AT&T store but they were sold out within an hour..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.