Will I be able to restore my data from Time Machine on Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DDar, Aug 24, 2009.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I like many of you Mac users am very interested in Snow Leopard.

I'm wondering however, if I decide to do a clean installation, will I be able to bring back all my files with Time Machine like you could do with Leopard? (I remember when I first connected my Time Machine HDD to my current computer it asked me if I wanted to restore my data...)

Also, will my Apps also be in restored onto Leopard? Or would it just be my files?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but it's just a big factor for me and none of my searches seem to answer my question.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There shouldn't be any problem using Migration Assistant to move the files from the TM backup to the SL install.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I had a similar question.

I never used Migration Assistant but what if I wanted to move just my ical data or my address book data. Can I do that?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think so ... unless SL's Migration Assistant is different. I can only choose users and their folders in Leopard, not individual app data.

5. HappyPhil macrumors newbie

HappyPhil

I have found the best way to learn how to get things to work with my Mac's since 1986, is to just plug in and see what happens. Whether it's a new camera, external hard drive, or even when I get snow leopard, I will just plug in stuff, (like my time machine backup drive), and see what happens.

Relax, it's a Mac.