Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
Hey guys i am getting a 20" iMac 2.1G5 soon. I will have the standard 512MB of ram for now. But when i go to buy aperature i am going to buy an extra 1GB to give it a total of 1.5GB of ram. Will i be fine running aperature. Oh and is aperature better than CS2? I am planning on getting into photography. I am new to it but i have the mac and figured if Aperature is better than CS2 i will get that cause i can get it for $249 at the student price. So it is cheaper than CS2 and from what i hear better than it. So any suggestions please let me know. I currently have a 20" 2.0 RevB iMac and am bringing it back whent he apple store calls me to get my new iMac. So i am just wondering will i be able to run aperature decently? Also what cameras are reccomended for a starting camera? I was looking at the Cannon Powershot S2, any suggestions on a camera would be great i don't want to spend more than say $500 on a camera.

milky23

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2005
Hi there.

I'm no expert but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

According to Apple's website, you should be okay. The recommended system is a PowerMac G5, but their minimum specs include a "17- or 20-inch iMac G5 with a 1.8 GHz or faster PowerPC G5 processor" and 1gb of ram.

Also, it seems to me that Aperature and Photoshop CS2 are two entirely different applications. I'd say it is like comparing apples to oranges. Unfortunately, I am not well equipped to identify the main differences. Could someone enlighten us both?

vashim66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
I would check out a true SLR camera if you want to get into photography. I just did the same thing and bought a Canon Rebel XT and highly recommend it. I paid $700 (with some crazy dell coupons) for it, so it's not that much more than the S2. If you really get involved in photography, this allows you to just purchase new lenses rather than a whole new camera.

Also, i think the regular Canon Rebel (not the XT) can be had for closer to your price range.

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
Yeah i have been looking at the Rebel XT. I might just take the leap and go all the way. I was also thinking that way i could sell the body when i wantes something new and get the EOS 20D body to replace it. That is the nice thing about SLR.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
vashim66 said:
I would check out a true SLR camera if you want to get into photography. I just did the same thing and bought a Canon Rebel XT and highly recommend it. I paid $700 (with some crazy dell coupons) for it, so it's not that much more than the S2. If you really get involved in photography, this allows you to just purchase new lenses rather than a whole new camera.

Also, i think the regular Canon Rebel (not the XT) can be had for closer to your price range.

Add to that one can get the Olympus E-300 single lens kit for $699 and the two lens kit for $799 right now.

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
Thanks for the heads up but i am not buying a camera right now. I am also thinking of Nikon D50 as well.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
crazyeyes said:
Thanks for the heads up but i am not buying a camera right now. I am also thinking of Nikon D50 as well.
the nikon d50 will suit you well as an intro DSLR camera. aperture is aimed toward the pro or advanced amateur and especially for those who shoot in the RAW format (although RAW itself comes in many flavors). if you're getting aperture to get into the world of advanced digital photography, you HAVE TO get a DSLR. many will tell you that you have to buy this brand or this model, but at the very least, make it a DSLR. if your budget is only $500, look around for a good deal on a canon rebel or the d50. or, save up for a d70. remember, you also need to focus on the lens, which can be more than the camera itself. but, for the time being, the kit lens will suffice until you find yourself needing/wanting more. the kit lens that comes with the d70 is actually very good.

good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.