Will I be able to share the iphone internet connection with laptop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WindowsTraitor, Jun 13, 2009.

1. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

I now use an HTC kaiser with wmwifirouter installed to share my vodafone data plan. It basically creates a wifi access point and I can then connect to it with my MBP.

With the previous iphones this was not possible, and that is why I never got one.

Is it possible to do this with the new one? I am not interested in bluetooth network cause the MPB does not like them :)

It must be able to create an access point.

If yes I will buy one from Vodafone Italy as you can get them unlocked. I do not know how much they will sell it for, but the 8GB is selling for 449.

Thank you

2. jontucker macrumors 6502

Anyone? This information isn't ANYWHERE on the web and the OP and I REAAAAAALLLY want to know!

3. jontucker macrumors 6502

Wait.... I found a page that lets you ask these sort of questions... try this link....

http://www.google.com

4. Shaan macrumors member

The iPhone 3G S (the new one) does not have the ability to create an "access point" or WiFi router as you described the HTC handset can do, but it can do something called tether.

With tethering you can either plug your iPhone 3G S into your MBP via USB or use bluetooth to share the internet connection from the wireless carrier to your laptop.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to do this wirelessly without using bluetooth as you stated does not work well with the MBP's. If you are ok with a USB cable from your handset to your MBP then the iPhone 3G S will work perfect.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Tether with the iPhone 3GS, then use the MBP to make an access point?

6. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for taking the time to give a normal humble answer, instead of those individuals that think they are god's given gift to earth.

I tried using the Pan networks with a previous generation MBP and my HTC (previous early 2008) and it was working fine. But my early 2008 does not like them lol. So thethering will not be of use to me I think. Moreover with bluetooth you can only up to a certain distance(maybe 3-4 meters max) and the quality goes down quickly over distance.

With the Wifi, I can instead use 2 3 computers, and it almost gives me complete coverage around the house.

I guess providers do not want people to over use their "unlimited" data plan.

So I guess I will keep the HTCs for now. I am really disappointed, cause I wanted to get an iphone.

7. jontucker macrumors 6502

You could have gotten this answer yourself in about 5 seconds by simply going to the Apple website.

8. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

I think you are underestimating the knowledge that is spread on the forums. people may know of applications that can solve this problem. Or they may give you tips.

I am really f.... tired of people that try to be smart asses. I am just asking a question, and if you have something to add to solve the problem, then answer, if not go bother someone else.

9. Shaan macrumors member

If you need anymore information here it is directly from Apple's website:

iPhone Tethering

10. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Dick.