Will I be able to use a locked AT&T iPhone 5 on Net10?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by angelica314, Dec 26, 2013.

1. angelica314 macrumors member

Hi everyone. I'm looking to upgrade from a 4S and was looking at NET10, I currently am using AT&T Prepaid and I'm doing well with it except it's not enough data at 2GB.

I want to buy an iPhone 5 that's locked to AT&T, and I'm not sure whether or not I could use it with NET10 and their AT&T sim card, it's not very clear in the website and other websites are variant.
    Thank you!

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

What phone do you have now?

Recent rule change says AT&T will unlock you pre-paid phone after you have been with them for 1 year.

4. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

I have an unlocked 4S. No, I want to buy a locked i5 online so that doesn't apply.

Thank you both.

5. NickRichyRich macrumors member

I would talk to AT&T about unlocking the phone it is doable just have to find out what their policies are on it!

6. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

Most cases I've heard it's really difficult to unlock it especially if the person to whom it belonged payed the fee to get off contract.

Does it matter though, if i'm able to use a locked one? Should I try to find an unlocked one instead then?

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

No if you already know you want net10, then a locked at&t will work fine as already mentioned.

All these lock&unlock business is, of course is better to get it unlocked (more flexibility) if it doesn't cost you anything. What happens if 6 months from now you find a t-mobile carrier that gives you a better deal?

If you are buying from a third party, and said party paid the ETF, he *should* be able to get it unlocked for you for free.

8. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I don't think so any more, as Net10/Straight Talk officially released there own carrier bundle/profile a few months ago for iPhone's. In settings it would usually say "AT&T 15.XX" now it says "TFW 15.XX"I can be totally wrong thoe.