will i be able to use ipod touch...?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lindz0209, Dec 1, 2008.

1. lindz0209 macrumors newbie

So I am technologically-challenged, haha, but I want an ipod touch. I have wireless internet at my apt and work, but will i be able to use the internet part of it, say at my parents house where they don't have wireless? Thanks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, you need a wifi signal for the ipod touch to connect to the internet.

3. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

That's not to say that a neighbor of theirs doesn't have strong WiFi signal... :D

We have our own WiFi, but as an experiment I easily got onto a neighbor's signal. Note that this is illegal, yadda yadda...

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, they have to have wireless. You can get routers for very cheap these days which should do the job just fine.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if your parents have wifi capable computers, you could always make an ad-hoc connection that your touch could pick up even if they dont have wireless internet per say

aka turn your parents wifi capable computer into a wireless router so to speak

6. Zephirus macrumors member

I dont think the idea of setting own computer as a wireless transmitter is a good idea, note that he said he is "technologically-challenged" :D

7. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Is it actually illegal? I mean, I think it's 'wrong' (but not really terrible), but I'm not aware of any actual laws that have been passed against it yet. Anybody know what the actual state of the law is?

{edit}

Found this info.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unsecure = open invitation.

9. Jakeblu macrumors regular

Not sure for where you live but in the UK this BBC report for a man convicted of piggy backing onto someones wifi.

10. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

one idea : if your parents are friendly with the neighbours - why not just ask?
    "hey my son is going to be staying for a few days and was just wondering weather he could use your WiFi?
    SIMPLE!:)

11. therealdt macrumors regular

yep. :D