Will I be eligible to upgrade from my 3G this summer? (PLEASE STICKY)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eso, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Eso's guide to upgrade eligibility: AT&T customers

The purpose of this guide is provide a step-by-step approach of how to determine if you are eligible for an upgrade to a subsidized device for customers of the AT&T network. This guide is based on AT&T's current guidelines, the AT&T Upgrade Advantage program (as of September 1, 2008) and does not dabble in speculation of possible future policy changes with respect to special cases for the iPhone(s). Considering that current AT&T customers were required to be in compliance with said policy to receive subsidized pricing on the iPhone 3G when it was released, however, it is the opinion of this guide that no special policy changes for any future iPhone revision will be made.

Step 1: Log in to AT&T My Wireless to view your AT&T account information.

Step 2: In the "PHONE/DEVICE" section on the introductory page, under the "Device Status" subsection, click "Check Upgrade Options".

Step 3: Choose the device/line that you would like to upgrade. If you are not currently eligible for a device upgrade, the date upon which you will be eligible to upgrade with subsidized pricing is reported. You also may be able to purchase a new device at early upgrade pricing (non subsidized) with a new 2-year commitment or at no-commitment pricing (retail) without a contract.

Feel free to post guides for other carriers in accordance with their respective standing policies.

PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD (with edited Title if desired).

2. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

or they should just call at&t?

seems easy enough

3. sprescott1974 macrumors member

i pretty much doubt that we should sticky something that is purely someone's opinion. until at&t and apple make an announcement we have no idea what the upgrade policy will be.

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

5. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I love when people recommend their own threads to be stickied.

Allow me to pop that ego balloon. *pulls out bobby pin

6. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

When I bought my first gen phone I made sure to get the free phone first, since the iphone was unsubsidized. In the next year, I was able to get the iPhone 3g for the fully subsidy price despite having just gotten a new free phone the year before. Not to say that this reflects their policy for June, but it is an interesting note about Apple's pressure on AT&T when it comes to moving hardware.

7. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

=)

8. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

At&t already has an upgrade policy. The iPhone is different from other phones how?

The OP, like me and probably many others, are tired of seeing thread after thread on whether people will be able the get the new iPhone this summer. I second this thread (or a similar thread for all I care) to be stickied.

9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I agree this post should be stickied. Also less douchiness on the forums, please.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Never going to happen. The douchiness part.

11. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

:D

12. diemos macrumors 6502

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well… always remember that less douchiness leads directly to more stickiness.

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

keep talking about the nature of the thread instead of what it actually has inside, then the thread is already on it's way

15. Crank Lucas macrumors member

16. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

This is strange. My father and I both purchased our iPhone 3Gs on the same day (and on the same plan.) I previously had the original iPhone and he switched over from Verizon that day. My eligible upgrade date is exactly five months after his. Can anybody explain this? Should I call AT&T?

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You would have to scroll 20 pages just to reach the first comment if every one of these pointless threads are made into stickies...

You know what, I got something sticky for you...

18. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

a bobby pin wouldn't pop a balloon. They are designed to be dull so as to not injure the user. You need a sewing needle or a pushpin (thumbtack).

[​IMG]

19. rwd hero macrumors 6502

As a valued AT&T customer, you may be eligible for an upgrade on this line, with no-commit equipment pricing and without signing a 2-year commitment. Click 'Upgrade Today' to view your upgrade options.

So does this mean i am going to have to pay the full price?

20. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Does anyone know how at&t determines whether or not you'll be able to upgrade at a reduced price?

21. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

Were you around for the 3g launch? They let iPhone users upgrade regardless of their upgrade policy.

Now that they subsidize the phone, however, there might be an "early upgrade" price for the 3g users...

22. rstansby macrumors 6502

Where were you? The original iPhone didn't have a contract, the 3G did.

23. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

did have a contract, just could upgrade at anytime, still had to stay with at&t or be penalized for leaving.

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The only reason that 3G owners got the subsidized price was (wait for it) the 2G WASN'T subsidized. We got grandfathered in, but it's not going to happen again.

25. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Correct.