Will I be happy with an iPhone? - multiple Gmail accounts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robertpetry, May 29, 2010.

1. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Hello all.

I am very seriously considering the iPhone HD/G4 or whatever it is. I have never made the jump to iPhone for a couple of reasons but the primary is that I have been on Sprint for about 12 years and am perfectly happy with them and especially my rates.

So what I would like to do is tell you about my usage pattern and have folks tell me how things would be with an iPhone. Sound good? I appreciate your help.

I live in a suburb of Indianapolis and I think both Sprint and AT&T have good service here. I work for a small company that uses a private URL Gmail account. So my work email and calendar are Google with our company.com. My personal email is also Gmail as is my wife's. We use and share Gmail calendars for personal use as well so there is a family calendar and we can see each other's calendars. This works very well right now on our Palm Pre's. How will this arraignment work on iPhones?

We use Palm Pre's right now and while WebOS is fantastic, it just lags so often. I click a button and it just sits there sometimes. I can't take it anymore. But I am not looking forward to losing the subtle notifications I get on the Pre.

We have thought about the Evo for a couple of reasons. First it would save us $40-50 per month by staying on Sprint. Second I like the notifications and there are at least a lot more apps on Android.

But a couple of things are pushing me to consider iPhone. Apps is the most significant. I am also concerned that the Evo is just too big - especially for my petite wife. Also Android is cool but it just seems to be too close to beta software all the time. Bugs drive my wife crazy and that makes my life miserable (see Palm Pre).

I would stay with Sprint and get her an iPhone but the chances of video interoperating is slim and we lose much of the price advantage having two carriers. But she syncs to a Mac and a seemless experience would be good for her and thus me...

Can I make an iPhone work for me? The Gmail stuff concerns me.

2. elephunkman macrumors 65816

You will be a happy camper.

My school uses Google Apps and everything with google from the calendar to gmail addresses that do not end in gmail.com. I just sync everything with my iPhone and all the appointments and classes appear so fluidly along with my email.

3. robertpetry thread starter macrumors 6502

robertpetry

elephunkman,

That is encouraging. How do multiple calendars look on the iPhone? Are they color coded? Can I choose which calendar to use when adding appointments?

What about contacts? Some of my contacts on the phone come from different Gmail accounts and some are just Facebook and Linkedin contacts. How does that work on the iPhone?

Thanks again

4. egnarts macrumors newbie

I can't speak for how the different contact sources would work, but I use multiple Google calendars and they work great on the iPhone. They are color coded, and yes you can choose which calendar your newly created event will appear on.

5. Paden macrumors newbie

You can use apps to have the facebook/linkedin apps sync your contacts. Everything is manageable. You'll love the iPhone.

6. Kinn macrumors newbie

multiple google apps run fine

I have multiple google apps accounts running just fine. No problems, yea....you'll be happy.

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Yes, they are color coded very well. Contacts, there are apps on the iPhone that manage these different accounts.