Will I be happy with MacBook, or do I need a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacGeekAZ, Oct 6, 2011.

1. MacGeekAZ macrumors member

Hi all,

In a few weeks, I'll be replacing my trusty but past-its-prime iBook G4. We tend to hang onto our computers for 5-7 years before replacing them, so I want to make the right choice. My husband thinks a MacBook will be just fine, but I'm wondering if I should save up a little more and wait to get a MacBook Pro. (I'm planning to buy a refurbished one.)

My concerns are:
    Is the white plastic case as sturdy as the aluminum would be? My iBook is not looking so good, and has a couple of cracks/chips. Would a MBP, with its aluminum case, hold up better? I do carry my computer around to lots of places.

Is the faster/better processor, etc., in the MacBook Pro significant enough for the casual user? I don't play graphics-heavy games. I use my computer for Internet browsing, email, word processing, running a few programs, watching movies, etc.

Thanks for your input!
    Wendi

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Hardware-wise, either would be fine. However, since you take it with you a lot, a Pro might be better suited because of the metal case. You can usually find some last-generation refurbs (introduced in 2010) for not much more than the white macbooks.

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I have the white MacBook, it is good, but it WILL crack. That's a cosmetic defect that has been with the white MacBook for years. I just got my topcase replaced yesterday because of this issue:

[​IMG]

Another issue is the bottom cover. I'm not sure if you've heard of this problem but a lot of people have been getting the bottoms replaced too because of this problem:

[​IMG]

Other than those two defects, the 2010 unibody Macbook is pretty good. Though I would recommend you get the macbook Pro because you automatically get more RAM and you'll need that if you plan on running Lion. Also the light up keyboard is a plus with the MacBook Pro. Hope this is helpful =)

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wait for 6 months for the 2012 refresh then buy the new MBP!

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd wait

Had to order a new Pro this week due to work requirements, but whatever you decide, go with the Pro.

6. brapmac740 macrumors member

brapmac740

Because they're not too far apart in price get the pro. The plastic breaks and gets many hairline cracks after extensive use...

Stay away from the plastic. If you're trying to stay under a grand and don't need a combo drive, go with the macbook air. Super thin/light and portable is always a plus and it's not plastic!

7. MacGeekAZ thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure about the Air; I think I'll need a disc drive, won't I? If I have an Air, is there a way to use CDs? Even putting the CD into another computer, then putting the data on a thumb drive? What do people with Airs do?

Wendi

8. JDrive macrumors member

You could also either buy an external optical drive or use Remote Disk which lets you access an optical drive from another PC or Mac over the network.

9. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

If you really want to use it for 5 years, a mbp would get you to that point more comfortably.

10. Andreita Belem macrumors newbie

Question?

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I have that same MacBook and my question is how do you replace your cases???

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You'd have to call Apple and try to convince them to replace your case for this issue. They SHOULD replace it, but they might say no, hopefully you still have AppleCare so it'll be a little easier for you. For the bottom, there's a warranty for it on the apple website, they'll send you one via mail and you can replace the bottom yourself, or you can send it to the apple store and they'll do it too.