Will I be losing quality if I buy a screen protector for a rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteIphone5, Mar 3, 2013.

1. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

im just wondering because i'd hate to see scratches on a 2K+ machine. also do you guys have like a protector for the body like around trackpad? kind of like invisible shield type of protection. Thanks everyone

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Don't use palm rest covers. That will damage your screen surely.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384

3. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

how will a palm cover damage the screen? when the palm cover goes beside the trackpad.

EDIT:
    oh oh i get it know, when i close the screen. but what if i also have a screen protector?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You're asking two questions…

First off if you use an InvisibleShield like solution on the screen, then yes you will have screen degradation. However if you use a traditional screen protector, then no you will not lose screen quality.

A protector for the palm doesn't affect the screen. I have using one since I got my computer (7 months ago) and have never had any issues. The Apple article doesn't make any sense to me.

5. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I think having a screen protector would be fine, but I would stay away from palm rest protectors as the Apple KB article states. I would not go with a Zagg one because you will notice lost screen quality.

6. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Hi, for the InvisibleShield i meant for the body. Standard screen protector would be fine right?

7. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Should be. Just be sure to keep those palm rest clear :p.

8. Haiku214 macrumors member

9. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Can you please justify as to why a 2K + machine does not need a protector? is the screen treated with anti scratch chemicals?

10. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

TBH, these screens nowadays are very difficult to scratch. I wouldn't bother wasting money on screen protectors.

11. Fissure macrumors 6502

Do you frequently put your rMBP in your pocket with your keys etc. like you would an iPhone or an iPod Touch?

A screen protector just isn't necessary in my opinion. I can't think of a case where the screen would be susceptible to scratches etc. It's up while in use and down when not.

Unless you happen to be in an environment where objects fly through the air regularly?

12. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Yes, you will lose screen quality if you use a screen protector. Glossy ones will produce a slightly higher reflective coating to your rMBP, whereas a anti-glare/matte film will produce washed out colors and may have extremely small grains. So you shouldn't waste your money unless your surrounded by people who constantly touch your screen, pissing you off.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Honestly I think you'll be fine without a screen protector… because putting on a screen protector the size of the screen is very difficult to say the least unless you're in a totally dust free environment. You're very unlikely to scratch the screen, and I'm thinking of taking my off soon since it does increase the amount of glare on the screen.

As for the InvisibleShield skin for the computer, I use a Moshi Palmguard cover for the wrist area and the trackpad. I always wear a watch and the metal band is likely to scratch the aluminium (and vise-versa), so keeping that covered with thin plastic skin feels better than the really grippy stuff offers with the InvisibleShield and like.