Will I be missing out with a 5C?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jim4D, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Jim4D macrumors member

As the watch is a companion to the phone will I be missing out on any features by not having an Iphone6?

I am aware I don't have the extra processor in the 5C that deals with health monitoring(possibly just steps?) in the new phones, will this put me at a hindrance do you think?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

None known with the 5, 5S and 5C. However knowing Apple that could change with wOS2.:D

EDIT: Does the 5C have the Health App? If so you are good to go.

3. matrix07, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I believe you will gain much more in term of tracking sensors that wasn't built into the 5C, and Apple Pay of course. Kind of like a cheap way to give a new life to your 5C.

4. ancns macrumors member

http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-pay/
    The bottom of the page

Apple Pay is compatible with Apple Watch when paired with iPhone 5 or later.
    iPhone 5 iPhone 5c iPhone 5s iPhone 6 iPhone 6 Plus

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

5C has the health app, though it cant take advantage of the additional sensors that the iPhone 5s and later have.

6. Munky macrumors 6502

Nothing cheap about buying a 350 dollar watch just to get a couple of new features out of a 200 dollar phone.

7. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Nothing to miss out on; the App and the Watch will perform the same on your 5c, as it would on an iPhone 6.

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It's cheaper than buying a new iPhone 6 for what's lacking in his 5C for sure.

9. bob24 macrumors 6502

Not sure it is much cheaper than selling the 5c and buying a 6. Then it depends what his priorities are - having a smartwatch with an older phone or having a shiny new phone which will be supported for a longer time and have a warranty.

But in any case, I would agree with Munky - $350 for Apple Pay and a fitness tracker is not that cheap.

10. Jim4D thread starter macrumors member

I was mainly interested in the differences with the health tracking.

My 5c is currently tied into my contract so I may as well wait a year or so before upgrading to say a 6s anyway.

Looking at the selling prices of a 5c on ebay and the cost of a 6 privately doesn't seem like a wise investment for the M8 processor yet.

The watch on the other hand I can already think of plenty of uses for unlike a lot of people I see on the forums. My phone spends a lot of time in my backpack so having quick access to notifications is a huge plus for me

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Understand but the :apple:Watch will be able to feed data to the Health App and the OP won't miss out on any :apple:Watch features.;)

12. matrix07, Mar 11, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

But then he could pay more yet only has a new phone without the Watch, which serves a different purpose. So yes, I think it's cheaper, in his situation, to buy a Watch than buying a new phone. That way, he can wait it out for a 6s or even 7. All is good.

There is no cheaper alternative for that. Just because someone else making a cheaper band, which may not work quite well with iOS, doesn't mean that Apple Watch is expensive. Somebody might think a laptop that is over $500 ain't cheap because of all those cheap netbooks but that doesn't mean those laptops are really expensive.

13. bob24, Mar 11, 2015

bob24 macrumors 6502

As I said, it depends on what he is the most interested in. You can get a fitness tracker with full integration to Apple's Health app and 1 week battery life for $100 (quite possiblybetter than Apple Watch if fitness/sleep tracking is the only requirement). And while not the exact same thing my free contactless Visa card is working well for me and while ApplePay will be nice to have once it comes to Europe I am not dying for it and that is not something on which I would spend hundreds to get access to it a few months earlier.

Hence why I was saying 350 is not cheap for these specific functionalities.

But of course the Apple Watch is bringing other things to the table - it all depends on whether he needs them.

14. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

There are things that looks good on paper and there are things that you just enjoy it. For example, someone could love his Pebble so much but someone else may not be able to tolerate it. It's all up to you. I enjoy Apple product so I don't think this $200 difference is worth it. If I cease to enjoy it then that'll be another story.