Will I be satisfied with a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoneWolfUSMC, Dec 28, 2012.

1. LoneWolfUSMC macrumors newbie

LoneWolfUSMC

It is nearing time to replace my PC. I currently use a desktop at home and a laptop in the field. I am considering a Macbook Pro to replace both.

A bit about my usage. I am a videographer and photographer. I produce a weekly webshow and do HD product review videos. I also shoot photos for web product reviews and run a website. The software suite I currently use for this is the Adobe Master Collection CS5.5. I don't do a lot of VFX work, but it is needed from time to time for intros and possible contract work. Most of the editing I do is just simple cuts, transitions and color correcting/color grading.

My main system is an AMD Phenom II X6 2.6GHz, 8GB of Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600, and several large hard drives. I output this to two Acer H233H 23" widescreen monitors. OS is Windows 7 Premium.

This system is not blindingly fast, but it is capable. When I am rendering 1+ hour long 1080p projects, I generally just walk away and either shoot another project or set the render for overnight. My regular 30-60 minute show is rendered in 720p and is not to bad. Since I shoot it in the studio I don't have much color correction to do and I rarely color grade it.

My laptop is only used when I shoot trade shows or I will need to upload a project "on-site". It is a Acer Aspire 5551-2805 with AMD Athlon II P320 / 2.1 GHz ( Dual-Core ) 4GB of RAM and onboard ATI Radeon HD 4250. OS is Windows 7 Home. When I have to use this I run an external HD over USB 2.0. It is far from ideal. I am going to max out the memory at 8GB before the show I have to shoot in January, but this is probably going to be the last time I rely on it for a big project. I never intended to do video editing on this laptop, but it became a necessity without the budget to upgrade.

So now I am at the crossroads and I can either try to split my budget and build a high horsepower desktop and a OK, laptop for the field...but I would rather just pickup a high end laptop and be able to jack it in to external storage and monitors when I am at the desk and run with just a pair of external disks when I am in the field.

I used to be an IT tech for a major US company (deskside support and server maintenance). I am familiar with the basics and I have no problem building PC's but I just don't want to mess with it anymore. I have gotten to a point where I just want stuff to work and not have to sort a software issue when it's 2AM and I am trying to hit a deadline.

If you have read this far thanks.....

I am looking at a 15" MBPr with the 2.7GHz i7 and 16GB of RAM.

Here are my questions:

• Is this a good desktop replacement?
    • Will I be able to run both my 23" DVI displays with some type of adapter until I can afford a pair of Thunderbolt displays?
    • Since I am going from a 2.7Ghz Six Core to a 2.7Ghz Four Core with more memory will I see more, less or the same performance when editing/rendering?

I am cool with keeping the same speed if I gain the ability to take that speed with me on flights and edit in hotel rooms. The claimed durability is also a plus because I work in some pretty ugly environments.

I am also kind of getting pulled into the Apple thing. I have used an iPhone for several generations. Just got an Apple TV and will probably upgrade my Android tablet to an iPad soon in an attempt to streamline my personal media management.

Input from any other FC or Premier users are welcome!

Thank you!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Yep, it sure is. Beats my old AMD desktop hands down.

Can't help there....got ATD for Christmas.

Using what software on what files? I have zero problem editting photos using LR, PS6, PSE 11, and Nik plugins. Try the rMBP. If you don't like it....return it within the approval period.

3. LoneWolfUSMC thread starter macrumors newbie

LoneWolfUSMC

Using Premiere CS5.5 or CS6 on 1080p video footage (H.264).

Also. I know that the new MBP's cannot easily have their memory upgraded, but you can still replace the SSD correct?

4. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

coming from PCs myself, and having switched partway through from phenom to intel, the difference in AMD vs intel is just too great for me to really ever seriously consider going back to AMD. This was true for gaming, I can only imagine it to be more pronounced in rendering. The i7 should provide some pretty good kick.

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

The Retina is a wonderful desktop replacement from what I've seen. I don't own one, but I do watch quite a few youtube videos on performance, and have used them before for professional applications (mainly CAD suites).

As far as being able to push the displays, you can absolutely do that. There are thunderbolt to DVI adapters, as well as multiple other choices. Here is a video of someone hooking up not 2, but 4 displays on his rMBP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaE5SlpsaVo

As far as rendering performance, it may be a slight amount slower than your desktop. The major difference will come in from the cores. The upgrade in RAM won't make a huge difference, unless your desktop is starving for RAM when you're rendering. Hope this helps.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Tbh, I'd skip the 2.7GHz CPU and go for the 2.6. I have a 2.6/16GB/512GB. Use the money saved on the CPU to buy the AppleCare plan, and protect it for 3 years, remember if anything happens (and it's a first rev so it's likely :p), repairs could be quite expensive (the screen, for example, is ~£800 to replace).

7. pgiguere1, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Agreed, the extra ~$250 for the 2.7GHz isn't worth it, even if it is for high end CPU tasks, unless you get paid for your work.

9. LoneWolfUSMC thread starter macrumors newbie

LoneWolfUSMC

I do. If the extra speed saves me time, that saves me money.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Understandable. Since you get paid for your time, then it's worth any speed boost you can get.

I don't get paid for my work on my computer unfortunately, so stuck with the 2.6Ghz. I could have been fine with the 2.3 to be honest, but the relative low cost of upgrading (plus work discount), it was a no brainer to just upgrade it.

11. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Well your biggest problem is that you came to a MacBook Pro forum and asked if you should replace your PC with a MacBook Pro :D

The best advice has already been given: Buy the rMBP and try it for a week (you have 14 days to return it for no fee).

If you're even slightly disappointed, then get your money back.

Have you considered that you'll probably have to re-purchase your CS software? I don't know if the license for 1 os can be transferred to another OS. You may want to look into that before you switch from Windows.

12. LoneWolfUSMC thread starter macrumors newbie

LoneWolfUSMC

No, I don't believe the license will transfer. I will probably just take this as a reason to move to CS6. When I get ready to make the move I should be able to swing a student discount. That makes the master collection considerably more affordable.

13. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Another option would be the subscription model. I don't do it for the Creative Suite, I do subscribe to PS CS6 though and the license allows me to install on one Mac and one PC. Worked out a lot cheaper than buying it for me, don't get any discounts though so don't know how it'd compare for you.

14. LoneWolfUSMC thread starter macrumors newbie

LoneWolfUSMC

Thank you all for your input. I am a couple days into work with my new 15" MBPr. Loving it so far.

I am in the gradual switch from the Desktop PC to the MBP for my daily computing. I am getting more comfortable and now prefer to use the Mac for most tasks. Part of it is the "newness" and part is the overwhelming desire to master it.

I am running a trial version of Adobe CS6. This week will be the first video editing job on it. Looking forward to it.

Since up to this point I have exclusively used PC's in my personal and professional life (to include IT work) I am documenting my switch on my blog. Check it out if you like.

http://techgeartest.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-mac-switch-part-1.html

Thanks again for the input and for the great forum here. It's my go-to for info on my iPhone, iPad and now MacBook!

15. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I had a chance to use my friend's 2.6/16/768 rMBP mid-2012 and loaded Final Cut Pro X on it. It took around 37 seconds to export 1 minute of 1080p video taken from my iPhone 5. Just thought I'd share that tidbit of information about exporting speeds. Hoping to get my hands on one of my own when the Haswell versions come out. Enjoy your new computer!

16. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Since you're new to the Mac, I recommend the book "switching to the Mac" by David Pogue. Helps a lot with the differences.

17. LoneWolfUSMC thread starter macrumors newbie

LoneWolfUSMC

Besides my slight issues outlined here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1556220

I have been extremely happy with the 15" MBPr. It does exactly what I need and allows me to video edit anywhere I need to. The addition of a couple Seagate GoFlex drives I can easily go mobile. My projects render faster than real time, so it will greatly increase my productivity in the field.

Additionally I am thoroughly pleased with the build quality. This is one of the things that drew me to the MacBook in the first place. I love how it feels.

I ended up picking up an Osprey backpack and a CaseCrown neoprene sleeve to carry it all in. When I want to work out of the office.

Now I have to wait for the Thunderbolt Display refresh. When talking about external drives I have found that USB 3.0 is perfectly acceptable for mechanical drives so I would really like to wait until I can pull that speed through the Thunderbolt interface. Kind of silly to attach a fast USB 3.0 drive to a USB 2.0 socket and then a Thunderbolt cable.

After using OS X for almost a month I have learned many of it's quirks. I still have a ton to learn.