Will I be upgrade eligible for the new iPhone this summer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I was handed down my mom's old iPhone in September when she got the 3G. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to get the new iPhone (or 3G) for the subsidized price point this summer... My contract isn't up until December, but last summer (if i remember correctly) iPhone owners could upgrade to the 3G for $199 even if their plan wasn't expired. Does anyone know if I'll be eligible based on their previous experience switching to the 3G from the original iPhone?

2. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

no

The original iphone wasnt subisdized. They payed full price for theirs, so dont hold your breath.

I am fully prepared to spend $500 on a 32gb iphone as an early upgrader myself and you should too. Sell your current phone. I can get $300 for mine so that just leaves me with paying $200 which is what the subsidized people will be getting.

3. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

My mom had the original iPhone and was able to get the 3G for the subsidized price before her plan expired though...

4. prospereagle92 macrumors regular

Yes

Yes you will be able to upgrade to the new one if it is released because you haven't bought a subsidized phone in the past 2 yrs. The only ones who won't be able to are the people who bought the 3g.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

exactly first iphone WAS NOT subsidized

3g was subsidized

if you input your serial number at apples website it will tell you how long your warranty lasts and when you are upgrade eligible

6. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I actually have... I'm on a family plan, and when it started I got a sony phone for a subsidized price. But about 3 months later I switched over to my moms original iPhone and started paying the $20 a month for data. I'm not sure if the switch to the old iPhone started the 2 years over though...:confused:

7. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Go to AT&T website. If you are on a family plan it will tell you when every phone in your family is ready for an upgrade.

8. bigchief macrumors 6502a

It will tell you when every phone number can have a phone upgrade.

9. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

I just checked, and I'm eligible for the early upgrade for $399...

10. CKohkah macrumors 6502

I have a sneaky suspicion that Apple and AT&T will allow all iPhone and 3G users to upgrade to the subsidized price. Why would they turn away all those potential customers??? It just wouldn't make any sense.

In this economy, they're gonna wanna get anyone they can to buy the new one like last time.

11. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Once again.. dont hold your breath

AT&T will not treat apple customers any differently. When a new blackberry comes out, are people allowed to go out and get the new one for the subsidized price? No, they have to deal with their "old" blackberry until their contract is up. or fork over the money for the new one.

Apple can only work so much magic, and AT&T would be taking a HUGE profit cut if they let apple do this. And in this economy, companies will not take profit cuts.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So, in this economy, AT&T is going to want to lose money? :confused:

AT&T paid Apple full price for the phone. Then they got $200 from the customer, which doesn't cover that cost. That customer is still paying back the extra cost of the phone each month, over 24 months.

But you think that after 12 months AT&T will say "Hey, just forget about that last phone. Consider it a gift!" That's not a good way for them to make money.