Will I benefit from Aperture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iPilot, Aug 22, 2007.

1. iPilot macrumors newbie

I am in need of some quick advice as to whether or not I would benefit from getting Aperture ($150 with the education discount) with my new imac, or if iPhoto would work fine for me.

A few details about me: I am essentially new to both macs and digital photography. This will be my first mac, and I know nothing about them. While I have owned a digital camera for about a year (Canon 30d with a few different lenses), I know very little about photography in general. Additionally, as I have yet to even transfer any of my roughly 2000 photos to computer, I have zero experience with any kind of photo software. Add to this the fact that I seem to be somewhat computer illiterate.

On one hand I am thinking that Aperture would be overkill for me, and that I should just start out on something much simpler like iPhoto. I'm afraid that if I have trouble with Aperture, I will only get frustrated and stop using it. On the other hand, I would hate to bypass Aperture, only to realize later that I'd like to have it, because then I'd have to pay full price.

Would it be beneficial for someone like myself with basically zero experience to get Aperture, or should I just stick with iPhoto for now to get my feet wet?

I appreciate any quick responses, as this is the only decision I have yet to make before placing my order for a new imac, and switching to the other side!

Thanks

2. macphisto macrumors regular

Tough call. Aperture was created and geared at the Pro crowd, and may be a bit steep on the learning curve. However, if you are savvy and love to experiment around with programs you should be able to learn the program pretty quickly. I would watch Quick Tours on the Aperture page and also check the Tips and Tutorials pages as well. The new iPhoto is rather robust in its feature set and may do just fine. You can also get Aperture any time through an educational discount for $150.

3. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Go for iPhoto now and once you get your mac download the adobe lightroom and aperture trials.

I myself don't use iPhotom,just dove into aperture and I really like it. :cool:

4. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Easy call I think. Start with iPhoto and see if it serves your needs. If not, you can always get the Aperture trial. If you like iPhoto, you just saved yourself $150. Given that you are new to Macs and digital photography, don't feel the need to spend too quickly. Go slowly and be sure you get what you really want/need.

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Seeing as how you have a 30D, Aperture will really start to shine when you shoot RAW. But seeing as how you know nothing about photography, maybe just start out with iPhoto. Should you get frustrated by it and feel you need more, try the Aperture or Lightroom trial.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree that starting with iPhoto is your best best. I would then see how that works for you and if you find you need something more then try the trial of both Lightroom and Aperture. I had some fairly compelling arguments delivered to me regarding the use of Aperture over Lightroom. I downloaded both and spent a fair amount of time last weekend using both. I would load the same 30+ photos into both and work as I intended to work. For me, Aperture won. Not because it is an Apple app but the arguments delivered had a lot to do with what Lightroom does with the libraries and such that did indeed worry me. This was not the time for me to try and experience it myself if you get my drift.

Now the last selling point for me for Aperture over Lightroom was Aperture posts to a service I use Zenfolio. While Lightroom may do this in the future, Zenfolio said Adobe has not offered up their SDK and therefore no one can write the plugin. This was a selling point for me. Though I have not bought either, I can say Aperture is still in my sights.

7. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yep this is the best advice. Try iPhoto for a while and then eventually download the Lightroom & Aperture trials and see which you prefer. I believe Aperture can import all your photos straight from iPhoto so it should be no trouble. (Not sure about LR)

Aperture was designed with the professional/serious-hobbyist photographer in mind and it can definitely be confusing at first glance. I'm sorry if this info was already said in the thread but I just wanted to give my input.

Good Luck

8. iPilot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all who responded. It only makes sense to start simple, then move on to more advanced things when the time's right. Looks like I just saved $150...for now anyway. :)

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm thinking about moving to Aperture myself. Nice thread.

Anyone know how Aperture would handle importing from iPhoto now that iPhoto is done by events?

10. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Seems to me a guy named Aperture is always welcome in a thread on Aperture!

11. gamera~ macrumors member

I'm not a photographer by any means, and I only have a point-and-shoot Fujifilm F20, but I bought Lightroom the other day (educational discount, of course). In my experience, it's incredibly intuitive, fast, and really just a pleasure to work with; even though I don't have a DSLR I can really get some great photographs out of the F20 with a little touch-up in Lightroom. I think it's far superior to iPhoto in terms of organization and metadata and, once you get used to it, faster.

-Michael