will i benefit from using mail.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rich2k4, Jul 8, 2009.

1. rich2k4 macrumors regular

if i normally check my e-mail by manually going to the gmail website, and do not want my e-mails saved on my hardrive, would mail.app be of any benefit to me?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Probably not it sounds like. If you have no real use for using it offline or don't use multiple email addresses, Mail is questionable. I swear by it, but I have multiple e-mail accounts and appreciate not having to wait for the internets to start when checking my mail.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I believe if you set gmail up with mail as an IMAP server rather than a POP server it doesn't store your emails on your disk. I could be wrong so don't quote me on that. I thought only POP downloaded the messages to the disk.

I actually don't use mail, I use a free app from mozilla called thunderbird. I love the ability to add on things. Like one add-on gives you the ability to have a seperate browser inside Thunderbird. This is great for if you want to look at links in your e-mail messages. You can just open them up right in the e-mail app. I love using an app on the desktop to check my mail because then I don't have to check my mail all the time. If you leave the app running you can set it to alert you when you have e-mail messages and this makes it easier to quickly respond. I would recommend using an app like Mail. Once you use one you won't go back to checking your e-mail in your browser again.

4. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I believe you mean "IMAP", not "SMTP".

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I think the guy above me means Imap not smtp.

Imap downloads the headers so you see the subject of your mail and you can open it if you wish, which then downloads it to your computer. This is good if you check your mail on multiple computers.

But, since you have 1 email address it would be no use to you really. Not to mention you said you dont want email stored on your computer.

EDIT: Argh! Someone beat me to it!

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

whoops, sorry i meant IMAP. getting terms mixed up