Will I benefit much from a 2GB ram increase?

palz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
I just bought a 13" late-2011 MacBook pro, with the i7 and bigger HD (cost about $700 more.) It doesn't play games that well-- Skyrim lags pretty badly except on Medium or below graphics, and even Minecraft can be slow unless I close all open programs. My laptop gets a 7724 on Geekbench right now, which seems pretty good to me, and I understand games would most benefit from a better graphics card (which isn't an option.) Will my computer benefit much from being upgraded to 6GB RAM? (I'm thinking of buying a 4GB stick and replacing one of the 2GB's.)

Spoonz

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
4GB is enough for gaming. If you'd said you're running 2GB then yeah, maybe adding more would help, but 4GB should be alright. Going from 4GB to 6GB will probably do nothing to help your problem, and it will just be like putting more fuel in a car - the car isn't going to go faster. Ideally you need a GPU upgrade, but unfortunately that's impossible :/

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Without knowing the memory statistics while your doing various things on your Mac, it's tough to answer your question.

Since you said "even Minecraft can be slow unless I close all open programs", it sounds like more memory could help if you don't want to have to close the other open programs.

More memory may make it so you can increase some of the graphics settings on some games, but some options are definitely restricted by your GPU. For those who find this odd, remember some games load in textures in to memory and having more memory means you can have more loaded in for a better view distance and such.

Also, double check the price of getting 2x4GB if you decide to upgrade. It might just be worth it. And there is a minor performance increase by keeping both memory modules the same.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
If you are going to go from 2-4gb ram then yes you will see a difference not in graphics per say but in terms of speed. Unless you feel the need to run a million programs at once then you really won't need more then 4gb ram.

palz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
It's not just for gaming, I know that games won't benefit too much from more RAM. To clear up any confusion, I have 4 GB right now, but may upgrade to 6 GB. I'm just wondering if it will make my computer significantly faster.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Very true. Either way I hope the link helps him out :)

If he has 4GB (2x2GB) currently, that would only upgrade him to 6GB. It would be $46 to upgrade to 6GB. For me, that's a no-brainer, but I don't know his or her budgetary limits. I'm just saying, there's nothing wrong with join to 6 if you don't want to go to 8.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Faster RAM will help a little with framrates. Not too much though with the HD 3000 not being all that fast.

Spoonz

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
We don't know everyone's budget limitations. There's nothing wrong with going from 4GB to 6GB.
Well there is... sort of. Upgrading from 4GB to 6GB is a waste of money since you wouldn't notice any difference.