Will I Ever Become A First Time Mac Owner?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KFCCON123, Oct 15, 2007.

1. KFCCON123 macrumors newbie

I have a good friend who's always up on Apple’s “new” moves. I was going to buy a Mac Book last month but he told me to wait until the end of this month for Leopard. Now he told me to wait until next month for the release of the faster processor.

Next month am I going to discover I need to wait until Mac World for another big release?

Will I be able to get my first Mac within the next millennium?

Any assistance you all can provide will be much appreciated.

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

yes you u will never look back at WINDOWS
    10/26/2007

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If I were you, I would buy when Leopard is released. The Macbooks are already very powerful, and while some think an update will come in Mid-November, I think it is more likely to arrive early January. You can be waiting forever for the next big thing...

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

A new OS only comes once every few years. Its worth waiting for. The current MacBooks look quite dated and rumors are running around that a new one is due within the next month or so. If you are only in the market for a MacBook, there will be nothing else to look forward too until mid next year. In summary, your friend is correct.

5. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

yeah you should just buy when leopard comes out. and when the next cool thing comes out, faster processors, cooler looking, etc, just suck it up. I've heard it said here many times-- your computer doesn't get slower or worse in any way when a new one comes out, its just not the newest or fastest any more. big deal.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, be a little more patient and hold on for a little bit longer. The macbooks are currently a bit tired and old, so they are likely to see an update by mid November(I think that is the latest window for an update, as this year, we have five Thursdays in November, which means that the shopping season will begin earlier this year).

I think we'll see Leopard by the 26th, and new macbooks around the 6th or 13th of November. Wait till then. :)

7. saxman macrumors 6502

Wow, if the macbooks are tired, old and dated, my 12" powerbook must be an ancient relic. Too bad it still works well. I would wait to buy until you can get Leopard though. Save some dough

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Wait until Leopard is released and then purchase your MacBook.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

wait til leopard

we're sure leopard is coming soon, but macbooks..who knows.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well the macbooks are tired relative to the standards for a brand new product. I think a lot of us would find the 12" PB a perfect fit, even if it's a G4.

11. NEiMac macrumors regular

Id wait for Leopard for sure. Not sure about waiting for new Macbooks. If they redesign them like I have read in the rumors they will be kinda buggy at first. My new iMac sure was. If they include the X3100 graphic in the new Macbook it might be worth waiting, if its just a processor bump with the GMA 950 then id say its not.

12. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Wait for Leopard if you want although you should get a free upgrade if you buy this close to release besides which Tiger is an extremely nice OS too and you might want to wait before joining the great Leopard bug hunt! Also, I would look at refurbished Macs so you will get a great deal and also since you will be buying something that isn't quite the latest and greatest you won't feel so bad when the inevitable update arrives. I've bought a couple of refurb machines and they were really brand new. I got a G5 iMac just after the Intel iMacs came out and a Core Duo Macbook just as the Core 2 Duo came out. Both excellent deals (30% off) and in pefect condition.

13. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

I always buy a model behind to save cash (college student).

I've NEVER been disappointed with the performance of my machines.

14. KFCCON123 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - The Jury Has Returned With A Verdict . . .

I shall go with the consensus, wait until Leopard and pray it is in fact released October 26th. Then I am taking the plunge. I do not mind spending the money. It just drives me nuts when I am going to buy something and I start obsessing that a new model is literally right around the corner.

If Apple comes out with something special in the notebook department at Mac World (i.e. an ultra-portable or a revamped Mac Book or Pro), then I can always take the plunge again if I feel like it.

Thank you all for the kind assistance. It is much appreciated.

15. T-Mac macrumors member

I am in the same boat.

I've been waiting since spring to buy my first Mac. Now that iLife '08 is available and Leopard has been announced, there is only one more piece to the puzzle. Macbook updates. I feel they are imminent. Macbooks were updated in November 2006 and all the buzz points to more updates this November. I think it is worth the wait to see what happens. Hopefully by Thanksgiving I will have purchased my first Mac.