will i gain anything thing from raid

Discussion in 'macOS' started by koopa35, Jun 2, 2009.

1. koopa35 macrumors 6502

.... should i raid my ssd vertex 30gb with a 160 hdd? what will i gain if any and is that even possible to do? im not all familiar with raid so a lil help with what it real does will be great also

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I suggest a little reading.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

There are multiple raid options, depending on what you want to do... Most of the info you need to know is in the wiki page though.

3. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Most you can do with a 30GB and a 160GB is JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks), which doesn't do you any good.

For RAID0 (striping - performance), you need two (or more) disks of the same size, so that is a no-go

For RAID1 (mirroring - safety), you don't technically need same size disks, but the mirror will be as large as the smallest disk; the rest you will not be able to use, so that pretty much takes care of that option too

All other RAID levels require more than 2 disks, so they are no option for you anyway.

HTH

PS: Why would you want to do RAID? I would tend to think that if you don't know what it is and the different options, you probably don't need it.

4. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

to combine my 2 hard drives. but u have just taught me ;) so know i know what it is