Will I get a logic board replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zzzzbest, Nov 5, 2010.

1. zzzzbest macrumors newbie

I have an A1260 that looks like it's undergoing the problems repaired by this program: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

However, I've had this thing apart, replaced the hard drive with an SSD, the optical drive bracket is very bent from when I replaced the optical drive, my display bezel is cracked in two places and held up with duct tape, and it generally looks like hell.

Will they still repair the logic board despite all the other, ahem, modifications? I could probably put the original parts back in, but despite that it will be obvious I've taken it apart. It is and was out of warranty when I performed these.

Should I take it to a retail store or just call Apple and ship it to them?

2. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

They won't replace it. You need to learn how to take better care of your stuff.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

They won't replace it for free. It's obvious you've been modifying it and once you do that you are on your own.

4. zzzzbest thread starter macrumors newbie

I got 3x the enjoyment out of the computer in 2 years than any other MBP owner probably did. I'm satisfied with the outcome. Here comes a Thinkpad x100e!

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Good for you.

6. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

I think it's worth a shot. Take it to a store and ask.

I took mine in. I said its out of warranty but it looks like the nvidia problem, they plugged a gadget into it, a light came on, and they said, yes you qualify for a fix. No internal inspection, and nothing more that a raised eyebrow at the flat corner where it once hit the ground.

But don't let them perform the test, without first discussing the "diagnostics fee".

7. actionman133 macrumors newbie

mw360 has the right idea. Take it in and get it inspected. Your optical drive shouldn't be a problem because it's a graphics card issue being covered by nVidia. Bear in mind though, it has to be confirmed to be the nVidia fault that they admitted to. If it's anything else (logic board, another issue with the GPU that is not explicitly the fault they admitted to), you won't be covered...