Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
So after 11 months my Mid 2009 MBP screwed up. When I clicked on my battery icon in the menu bar there was something that told me I needed to ''service my battery''. So I called AppleCare and they confirmed what my Mac was telling me and helped me book an appointment. So today I was thinking, would I get the new 8-9 hour battery or would they just replace it with some old 7 hour battery like the one that my MBP came with?

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Okay, randomest **** just happened. I just checked my coconut battery and instead of putting my battery health at 57% like it was yesterday it's not back to normal at 88%. WTF? Guess my battery doesn't need replacing. That's weird...

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
You need to calibrate your battery. Have you done that recently ? My 2007 MBP went crazy too, often showing wrong readings. Calibrating solved it.

As for the replacement, you'll get Apple's latest battery which fits in your Mac. So I believe it won't be the 9 hours battery because it is from the non-removable series. (Your MBP has a removable battery, right ?)

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
My battery is non-removable. I will try calibrate my battery and will see if that makes 100% sure that my battery is fine.

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
What makes you think that? They still manufacture batteries for the iBook and Powerbook G4s.

Ok, if you say so. To be honest I don't know myself. I'd only expect that they would discontinue making older batteries for the same model.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok, if you say so. To be honest I don't know myself. I'd only expect that they would discontinue making older batteries for the same model.

They don't always discontinue making parts for older models; they only discontinue advertising them for sale. Especially with replacement parts that wear out, such as batteries, they need to be able to have them available for warranty work, as well as those who choose to buy replacements.

Gorilla Power

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
They don't always discontinue making parts for older models; they only discontinue advertising them for sale. Especially with replacement parts that wear out, such as batteries, they need to be able to have them available for warranty work, as well as those who choose to buy replacements.

Ah, I see. I learn so much everyday. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.