Will i have problem in future? Spilled drop coke on keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macsforcollege?, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

It was in one of those paper cups with a cover then straw in middle. It tipped over and i got it half second after it fell. it happend so quick and i grabbed a paper towel and cleaned it up before i could see where it was. But it wasnt covering the whole keyboard not even half. It maybe hit a few letters and went around the letters-- i believe.. nothing feels sticky and eveything works fine..... do you think i will have problems in the future? or i should be ok?

Thanks

2. darknite38 macrumors regular

I think you could maybe have problems in the future, possibly.

Do you maybe want a better answer? I could probably tell you what will happen, but I don't know if I should.

3. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

i looked at that.. i dont even think anything would have dripped out if i turned it over. i would pop off keys but i dont want to break them as i am doing that and then not be able to put them back on.:(

if something happend and it stopped working, how much would it cost to fix it?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on what was damaged. It could be nothing, or it could be a damaged logic board, which gets pricey.

5. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

im hoping nothing

Would a lot have to spill to get logic board? It definitley wasnt a lot

and would it act up soon if something was wrong? If something was fried would it happen soon?

Thanks!

6. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

Word is to respect the soda or any beverage around the laptop. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. That is until a small drop seeps down and gently splats onto the logicboard and ruins it. ;) Turn it upside down and let it sit overnight. You'll be fine.

7. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

Too late to really turn it over... been about 4 hours already.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

And it works fine?

9. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

yes. all buttons work. havent had any problems. doesnt appear to be sticky or keys to be stuck.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

it may take a day or two for the keys to stick ... Good luck

11. molala macrumors 6502a

Hard to say. Even a little bit of coke (fraction of a teaspoon) can do harm. I would back up everything just now in case you develop problems in the next few days or at your next restart.

12. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

As a user said, back up your computer, now. Pick up a cheap external hard drive, and just run Time Machine. I can never overstate that application's importance.

The value of that one application has saved my entire system a few times - I liked to fiddle with system settings in my early Mac days. :eek:

13. Politis macrumors regular

Vacuum cleaner to remove liquid?

How about starting by using the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner to suck the liquid off the machine?
    I have also seen this advice in the past.

14. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You may have no problems until you try to use AppleCare for something unrelated. Many have reported their warranties are voided because the moisture sensor in their macbook has tripped even though there isn't a problem.