Will I have regrets on getting a TB2 dock vs 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by automan98, Jul 4, 2017.

1. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

What do you want the dock for? What do you see yourself using it for in the future? I'm still using TB2 docks, but there are certain scenarios where I could see major advantages for going with TB3 (for example, the ability to connect to the dock and charge the MBP via a single cable, to get the Type-C ports, to take advantage of the USB 3.1 gen2 spec, etc.)

2. Patcell macrumors 6502

I recently upgraded to a 2017 Pro, and I am still using my OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock with the new machine. The only reason I would feel compelled to upgrade to a Thunderbolt 3 dock would be for true single-cable simplicity. Not compelled enough to drop $300 bucks on a TB3 dock just yet, but... perhaps in the future. Also, factor in the cost of the TB2 to TB3 adapter ($50). Actually another thing is... I'd rather not have to move my charger every time I take the machine with me on the road; TB3 dock would eliminate that nuisance as it would provide power to the machine as well.

So, there are some advantages... are they worth the cost? That's for you to decide. I already have a TB2 dock, so not worth it for me at the moment.