Will I have regrets?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MagicMouse, Feb 20, 2010.

1. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I am going to wait until the MBP updates, but I really want to get a 17 in. But I am also afraid I could regret it to some degree and would like opinions.

Here is what I am using it for and why I have leaned toward the 17 inch model.

1. I am a photographer/ graphic artist and would like a lot of work room

2. I will be using it as my only computer/ monitor at my office and figure a bigger screen will be nicer.

3. It will be my only Mac for awhile and want to have a large screen to enjoy the OSX experience on the go.

Now I know some of you will say "sounds like you have already made up your mind". But truth is that though I believe all of those reasons point to a 17 in. I could be wrong and would just like to hear some really good points as to why I should or should not get the 17 in.

Also, if this affects anything, I am not a heavy traveler (maybe 3 or 4 trips a year to nearby areas). So travel use is not my goal. Just portability with my computer experience. I essentially want a portable desktop.

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

How about this: buy the 17", if you don't like it, exchange it for a 15" model.

3. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

17" is like carrying around a x-large pizza box. I'd say be sure to check one out in person before you buy.

Also if i5 macbook pros are around the corner- wait!! :)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree that you should try the 17" but I think for you why not buy the 15" and a display? Or do you truly want to be portable?

5. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

don't know where you've been buying your pizza, but you're getting ripped off. :eek:

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Well I have the 17" and couldn't be happier and more satisfied. I bought the 17" 2.8 after trying out the 15". I did not like the lower resolution of the 15" and smaller screen. I travel almost constantly and this 17" is highly portable, light weight, and easy to carry in my backpack. Battery life is nothing short of amazing. I use it mainly for video editing, music production, and other multimedia projects.

The high screen resolution was the main selling point for me. The second point is the increased screen real estate. It does make a huge difference when using the computer for hours on end. And these are some of the main reasons why I will never have a smaller screen laptop.

7. MagicMouse thread starter macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I really do want to be portable. I cant stand sitting at a desk all day editing photos and creating logos, etc...

It is nice to have a solid workspace, but I really want to have the option to leave my desk and still be able to work just as efficiently.

8. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

The 17" is big if you've never seen it before, but it's quite manageable. If you're not doing a ton of traveling, it sounds like the bigger screen would be worth it for you. If you fly, present at conferences, etc. a lot then the 15" might be the better option.

9. MagicMouse thread starter macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I have seen one, and my friend who does video editing uses a 17 inch. I don't really think they are too big, they are big, but I think that is what I need. I'm getting that feeling from these responses as well which is reassuring.

10. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

FWIW I arrived at the same decision. I do photography mainly for fun, and do some work with processing CT scans and such for work using OsiriX. I do occasionally travel and present at conferences, but most of the time I'm giving talks the .ppt presentations are loaded on another machine anyway.

I have a 15 now, but whenever this update comes out I'll be springing for a 17...

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Cut a piece of wood to the dimensions of a 17" and carry it around for a while and see how you like it. Better yet, make two, add a hinge, and pretend to use it. For bonus points, paint it to looks as much like a MBP as possible.

Apple could easily fit 1680x1050 in the 15" with the same or less dots per inch than the 17".