Resolved Will I have to buy all my apps again?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by garlicipad, Mar 10, 2012.

1. garlicipad, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

garlicipad macrumors newbie

Just sold my iPad 2 and preordered the 3rd one! The better screen is really what I have been wating becuase I draw a lot.

Will already high def apps for the iPad 2 look even better on 3? I assume some app developeers will re-release apps with even higher definition, from past experience are do these developers usually make the user pay the total price?

the reason I ask is because I only had the iPad 2 for 3 or 4 months and i hate to think I will have to buy most apps all over again if they upgrade for 3rd gen. Thanks for your opinions :)

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I think most developer just enable retina support for their apps and offer thosem as update. Everything else would be bad marketing. If they really add value they might make a new program; but I don't think so.
    Universal apps will run on all devices. Its not like the transition from iphone to iPad with all those HD version. So I believe you will not to buy again your apps.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I expect most apps will look fine on the new iPad. The retina display pixel-doubles graphics meant for the previous iPads, instead of stretching them out. So each dot in the older graphics will take up four dots in the retina display, and the effect should be that they look exactly the same as on older iPads.

Of course, if developers update their apps to include high resolution graphics, that will make the graphics even sharper. Based on what happened when iPhone apps went from non-retina to retina, I don't recall any developers releasing their retina-ready app as a separate app, making existing users pay for it again. It's usually just a free upgrade to an existing app.

4. garlicipad thread starter macrumors newbie