Will I have to re buy my apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tucker61, Mar 31, 2012.

1. tucker61 macrumors regular

Currently use iPod touch daily and have approx 200 apps.
    Thinking of buying new iPad. Will I have to pay full price to upgrade apps to hd version, or will I pay a upgrade price.

Going forward if I want a app on both devices will I have to buy twice, or if I buy for the iPad, will it sync to my iPod?

2. WindWaker, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

WindWaker macrumors regular

Depends on the app. Some are universal (so they would be "HD" on the iPad without you having to buy another app). There are certain apps that aren't universal (a lot actually), which you will have to purchase a second time to get HD. In iTunes, under the "App" header, you can see which ones are which, as well as in the iPad App Store, which will show you "iPhone" apps and "iPad" apps.

If you buy an iPad specific app, it will not sync to your iPod. If it, however, is a universal app, it will. Also, if you're cool with it being "bloated", you can run iPod apps almost fullscreen on the iPad. It won't look great though, but if the app supports iPhone retina display, it will look pretty good.

My recommendation would be to get the apps you use the absolute most on the iPad in HD (provided they aren't universal already), and to just fullscreen the rest of the iPod only ones.

3. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

Most apps from the iPod/iPhone ..are universal, they'll jus appear Window'd in the iPad, u can usually click 2x on the bottom right and make it full screen but it won't look as nice as say iPad oriented apps

4. G77 macrumors regular

That is NOT what universal means - universal apps have both iPhone/iPod and iPad version in them. So with universal app (one with little cross near price tag in App Store) you already have native iPad application.

You can also run ANY iOS app on iPad and thats when you can use 2x for iPhone only applications...

----------

I think its 80:20 - 80% are universal, 20% have special HD version...

----------

You can see which of your apps are already universal in iTunes on you computer - just go to apps section (apps you already bought) and you can group them by type of supported device...

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Like the previous poster said, that's NOT what universal means. What you're talking about are apps that don't have an iPad version. So, it installs the iPhone version and installation is limited to the display size of the iPhone, not the iPad. Hence the 2X feature.

Universal apps are those marked with a "+" in the app store that contains BOTH iPad/iPhone versions. It auto detects the device and it will install the version that is right for your device.

Also, AFAIK, all iPhone apps can be installed on the iPad however this is not true for the reverse, iPad to iPhone.

OP - You can log in to your account into the app store on the iPad. Look at the bottom of the screen, there should be a selection for "purchased." You can re-download everything for free there. Or, you can also search for them in the app store and install. When an app doesn't have a price on it, it means you own it. It will say INSTALL if you don't have it already and if you do it's grayed out and will say INSTALLED. Free apps will also have no price and will say FREE. So, basically, if there is no price on the app, then you more than likely own it. This is all assuming that all your apps were purchased under one AppleID.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Shorter: no you will not have to rebuy apps unless you want to. All apps that work on the iPod Touch/iPhone will work fine on the iPad.

Some are "universal" meaning they include both true iPhone and iPad resolutions. Others will require you to do pixel doubling/quading (deepening if it's a 2 or 3rd gen). For those apps, if you want true iPad res, yes, you will have buy the "HD" version.