Will I know if my MacBook Pro ships with Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Josh0806, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Josh0806 macrumors member

Is there any way to tell if the MacBook pro 13" I plan to order will ship with Lion pre installed? is there a special product code/number for them that indicate the new box and keyboards they ship with or at the moment is it still a case of luck as to whether they do or not?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you haven't ordered it yet, it will ship with Lion.

3. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

How do you know this? All it says on the MBP page is that it will ship with OS X. It does not state what version. It does say that if it does not come with Lion, then you can download it for free via the Up-To-Date program. They've got to sell through the stock with SL first.

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Does it really matter? It's not like you need to pay for it.

5. keerf macrumors member

I ordered a custom configured macbook pro on july 24th. I got it a few days ago and it came with Lion pre installed.

The lady on the phone I talked to said all macbook pros after july 21st (I believe) would come pre installed with lion.

6. Josh0806 thread starter macrumors member

For some it does matter, 4gb is a lot to download on a slow connection so I would prefer it to come pre installed. It would also be nice to have the new (although only slightly altered) keyboard.

Edit: Ok thanks keerf. I have heard though that only BTO options are now shipping with lion. I won't be ordering for another couple of weeks anyway so hopefully it will come with lion by then!

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

You also have to deal with it coming without a recovery disc and older firmware that doesn't support Internet Recovery, which can be a show-stopper if you ever replace your original HDD. Make sure you maintain a bootable backup, in addition to any Time Machine backups that you may keep.

Hopefully Apple updates the MBP firmware for Internet Recovery, like the new Airs/minis.

8. infamous84 macrumors member

i ordered a mbp for my brother after lion was released and it came with lion, with the updated box showing lion on the back

9. Josh0806 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks infamous84, guess I'm goo to go with ordering then.

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

my custo macbook pro comes in tomorroww so i will let you know LOL