Will I lose everything if I update firmware?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Outrun1986, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I have a 4th gen iPod touch and was wondering if I will lose all my data like my contacts, photos, app data, etc if I upgrade to 4.2. I have never upgraded an iPod before so help would be appreciated.

Also 4.2 still has persistent wifi right, I like having it on all the time so I can receive text messages.

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

No. You will not lose your data as long as you (a) update from iTunes or (b) restore from a backup. Still, back up your iPod first. That's a given.

Yes.

3. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

Only thing you will lose is your music. If you backup and sync regularly, then you will still have your apps and preferences intact.

4. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Why would u lose music? Ur just updating. As long as u have it set to manual wouldn't it work fine and not delete songs.

5. Outrun1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

A lot of people on here say that app data gets deleted when updating firmware, so I assumed that is what would happen. I don't care if it deletes the songs, as I can just resynch them quickly.

6. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

That's how a firmware update takes place. Everything on the iPod is erased, the new firmware is loaded, and the iPod gets resynchronized.

7. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i just updated and nothing got deleted. my ipod is set to manually manage music though, so im not sure if your talking about when its on automatic sync?

8. Outrun1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

It updated fine, the process was easy and everything was still there when I was done updating. I had to press sync to get the music back on there, but that is no big deal. Mine is set to manually manage music too.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't lose a thing when I upgraded to 4.2 on my iPod touch.

I have my music set to automatically sync (only videos are manually selected) and use the 128kbs convert option. My music was not deleted (would have taken hours to sync back and it only took around 15 minutes to update).

10. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

dont listen to this. you dont lose anything unless your jaialbroken which im assuming your not...

11. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Jailbroken? Jailbreaking does nothing. Is there an app like that? Backing up does back up apps' data. You might have to enter the passwords again, though. Were your apps all in the right places when you synced?

12. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

You'd lose all of your Cydia apps and settings when you upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2.

13. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Yes, I am aware of that, that's why I have AptBackup so that I'll get all my apps back(but not settings).

14. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

I was responding because you had said "Jailbreaking does nothing" in response to "You won't lose any of your data unless you're jailbroken"

15. garretruh macrumors member

The difference lies in whether you "Restore" or "Update". If you "Update" and you're not jailbroken, everything (music, apps, books, videos, etc.) will remain on your iPod. If you are jailbroken and you choose "Update", you will lose your jailbreak and any unauthorized apps that you got from Cydia or Installous, but everything else will remain on your iPod. When you click "Restore", you're iPod will be restored to the latest version of the firmware and everything you have on your iPod will be deleted, jailbreak or no jailbreak. If you are synced with iTunes though, as you should be, then as soon as your iPod is restored, you can choose to restore the backup to the iPod.

16. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I was talking about there is no jailbreak app that backs up everything AFAIK.

17. knightlie macrumors 6502a

Not true. My Touch lost all it's music following the upgrade. I assume it needs an extra manual sync which the upgrade process didn't do to restore it. Pictures and apps are fine.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

I upgraded a iPod touch 2G that was running 2.2.1 to 4.2.1 and while it took quite a while to download, reload firmware, resync all data and such everything was there when it finally came back up.