Will I lose info?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RyCan3, Oct 12, 2011.

1. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

I just got a new computer. If i plug in my iphone 4 will it automatically get rid of all my information on my phone or will it allow me to create a new backup right away in itunes?

----------

Appreciate any help!

2. caazz macrumors newbie

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can transfer purchases from your current iPhone and authorise the computer before syncing. I THINK that's what I did when I got my new laptop but it was over a year ago now so I'm not really sure if that's right. All I remember is that I didn't lose anything from my phone.

3. RyCan3 thread starter macrumors 6502

RyCan3

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It can be tricky. You'll want to transfer your iTunes over to the new computer first, unfortunately not an intuitive or well-documented process. Do some Googling on it and I'm sure you'll find several step-by-step guides.

I was thinking of switching my iTunes sync from my Mac over to the PC in my office. Looked like such a hassle, I moved the Mac into the office instead :p

----------

That will work if all your media is purchased through iTunes, but it won't move media you ripped from your own CD's or obtained elsewhere.

5. caazz macrumors newbie

Makes sense. Thanks for that :)

I just thought of this: if the OP's old computer is still working and connected to the same Internet as the new one you can open home sharing and just copy the entire music library (including stuff obtained elsewhere) onto the new computer. I take a lot of my brother's music that way and unlike me, he doesn't like to purchase all of his music.