Will i lose unlimited data if i switch to hotspot plan for 20min?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Stayfly2407, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Basically, im leaving to go to GA tonight so ill be on the road at 3am when preorders launch. I have unlimited data, so the only way im going to be able to preorder is to add the hotspot and get on my laptop to preorder then take it back off. You think AT&T will let me get it back since its only a few min, itll look like i accidentally did it pretty much.....Im using an android and im not going through and rooting trouble, do you know of any other way for a quick hotspot to use to preorder while on the road?

2. satchow macrumors 6502

Well you gotta call them up and change your plan to activate hotspot, and once you change, you can't change back to unlimited.

But if you hit it and it turns on, just use it, they're not going to know (Jailbroken phones let you do it). But I have a feeling that once you hit it to turn it on, it'll pop up a message telling you that if you want to use it you haev to change your plan.

3. acarney macrumors 6502

Why not use the browser? I'm pretty sure apples page can be used fine from most modern browsers...

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

FoxFi. No root needed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

once you change, you can't go back.

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Why not just access the store from your phone?

Currently I have unlimited on my AT&T iPhone, and when I hit the Set Up Personal Hotspot option, it requires me to go to AT&T's website to sign up for a hotspot plan, which will effectively kill my unlimited. So there's no way to "accidentally" turn it on. Not sure if it's the same on an android phone though.

7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

8. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I think the poster above was assuming everyone knew he was talking about tetherme, miwi, or pdanet. These are jailbreak applications that get around the setup of a tethering plan, but ATT will catch you doing it and switch your plan anyways.

Then what the hell is he posting an android question on an iPhone forum for? :confused:

OP... go to Xda forums and ask there. They specialize in android devices and can better help you with your android questions.

9. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Poster is aware.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once you switch away from unlimited data you can never go back.
    They're just waiting for you to slip up and then its gone for good:D

11. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

You mean the OP? He specifically mentioned he was on an Android phone and didn't want to root.

But you're correct. AT&T will catch you.

12. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I tether all the time on android (to an iPad) and haven't got caught nor warned.

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

14. Meanee macrumors 6502a

You do know that rooting a lot of phones is as simple as downloading a software, and clicking once or twice?

15. JLemm macrumors regular

Does android have the AT&T upgrader app? if so, you can use that.

16. Stayfly2407 thread starter macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

cool this seems to work, it did disconnect a few times but i only need it to work until my confirmation goes through. Ill give it a few more runs and hopefully i can trust it to work tonight. Thanks