Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA
Basically, im leaving to go to GA tonight so ill be on the road at 3am when preorders launch. I have unlimited data, so the only way im going to be able to preorder is to add the hotspot and get on my laptop to preorder then take it back off. You think AT&T will let me get it back since its only a few min, itll look like i accidentally did it pretty much.....Im using an android and im not going through and rooting trouble, do you know of any other way for a quick hotspot to use to preorder while on the road?

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Well you gotta call them up and change your plan to activate hotspot, and once you change, you can't change back to unlimited.

But if you hit it and it turns on, just use it, they're not going to know (Jailbroken phones let you do it). But I have a feeling that once you hit it to turn it on, it'll pop up a message telling you that if you want to use it you haev to change your plan.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Basically, im leaving to go to GA tonight so ill be on the road at 3am when preorders launch. I have unlimited data, so the only way im going to be able to preorder is to add the hotspot and get on my laptop to preorder then take it back off. You think AT&T will let me get it back since its only a few min, itll look like i accidentally did it pretty much.....Im using an android and im not going through and rooting trouble, do you know of any other way for a quick hotspot to use to preorder while on the road?

Why not use the browser? I'm pretty sure apples page can be used fine from most modern browsers...

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
att-charging-tethering-fees-mywi.jpg

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA

FoxFi. No root needed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
once you change, you can't go back.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Why not just access the store from your phone?

Currently I have unlimited on my AT&T iPhone, and when I hit the Set Up Personal Hotspot option, it requires me to go to AT&T's website to sign up for a hotspot plan, which will effectively kill my unlimited. So there's no way to "accidentally" turn it on. Not sure if it's the same on an android phone though.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
So there's no way to "accidentally" turn it on.

I think the poster above was assuming everyone knew he was talking about tetherme, miwi, or pdanet. These are jailbreak applications that get around the setup of a tethering plan, but ATT will catch you doing it and switch your plan anyways.

OP has android, not iPhone.

Then what the hell is he posting an android question on an iPhone forum for? :confused:

OP... go to Xda forums and ask there. They specialize in android devices and can better help you with your android questions.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
I think the poster above was assuming everyone knew he was talking about tetherme, miwi, or pdanet. These are jailbreak applications that get around the setup of a tethering plan, but ATT will catch you doing it and switch your plan anyways.

You mean the OP? He specifically mentioned he was on an Android phone and didn't want to root.

But you're correct. AT&T will catch you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.