Will I miss my 15" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by veryape, Nov 27, 2010.

1. veryape macrumors newbie

I have a 2006 15" MBP with the antiglare screen that has been slowly dying over the last few months and as of this morning won't power up. Anyways, my question is would regret it if I replaced it with a 13"? Would I miss the extra screen space and the antiglare? When I was in school, I always wished I had the 13" because mine was a pain to carry around (I'm a girl, ok). Now that I graduated I don't really carry it away from home all that often, but I think that is why I still have in the back of my mind that I want a 13" (oh, that and its $600 cheaper). Has anyone gone from a 15" to a 13"? Did it take getting used to? Do you wish you hadn't? And how is the glossy screen?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I went from a 15" MacBook Pro to a 13" MacBook Air and used it for a year. Then I sold the MacBook Air and went back to the 15" MacBook Pro. There was a significant increase in weight, but it wasn't so bad. I will say that I'm thankful the have the 15" screen again with a matte finish because the 13" was just not as usable for my standards. And glossy was just not good at all because of the reflections (in my opinion). After having used the 13" screen for a year I don't think I'll ever get a laptop with a screen smaller than 15".

3. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Hey. I wanted a 15" but was unable to get it my hubby wanted me to get a 13 instead. My original laptop was a 17". This is taking some time to get used to. I'd really like the 15" but in a way I'm happy with the this because it makes carry it so much easier. My older one was heavy and a pain to carry.

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My girlfriend had a 2006 17" and hated carrying it around. When it died she borrowed my 15" for to weeks and couldn't bear the small screen. She ordered a new 17" and decided she'll bear with it. I think that also made the "should I get an air?" decision for her.

5. josh2012 macrumors member

The new MBA 13" has the same resolution display as the MBP 15" (1440X900) and a much less glossy screen than the current MBP's it is likely when the MBP 13" is next updated it will get the same screen as the MBA 13". This should make the screen size and glare much less noticeable. Look for this by April hopefully. :)

6. CaoCao, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010

CaoCao macrumors 6502a

You would probably regret it, also being a girl isn't a legitimate reason for it to be to hard to carry, work out a little,
    The glossy screen turns into a mirror in bright sunlight.

7. Demosthenes X, Nov 27, 2010

Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

As to the question, I love the 13" form factor. It's a great blend of portability and size, imo. But, if portability isn't a big factor, and if you can reasonably afford the 15", there doesn't seem to be any reason not to opt for it.

That said, a 13" + external monitor is cheaper and might suit your needs better. Have you thought about that?

8. Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

NO I went from a 15" Dell to a 24"iMac to a 13"mbp. So you will adjust easily

9. firstadopter macrumors newbie

It really depends on how much you carry it around. If you do a lot, go with the 13", if not stick with 15".

10. veryape, Nov 27, 2010

veryape thread starter macrumors newbie

Everyone else - Thanks for the suggestions/insight. I'm going to visit the Apple store and play around with both models and also try to compare the glossy with the anti-glare, but it was very helpful to hear your thoughts in order to collect mine...

11. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

I just went from 15 i7 to MBA not MBP13". It is doable but it depends what you are doing. If you are just surf and writing docs you will be fine. I can't photo edit on this but I knew that before. I will be buying a 17" next year sometime.

12. neteng101, Nov 27, 2010

neteng101 macrumors 65816

Went from a 15" unibody MBP to 13" MBA and I don't miss a thing... this is so much more portable, I move it a ton more than I used to the 15". The screen on the MBA is glossy but its the least glossy glossy display I've seen... looks like there is some sort of anti-reflective coating on it. I don't like the matte displays (like looking at a screen with a bit of a fuzz filter in front of it), my 15" was a glossy glass, the MBA screen has hardly any reflections unlike the glass glossy displays. So its the perfect compromise for a display that pops at you with pretty minimal reflections.

Visit an Apple store and take a look at once for yourself.