Will I miss my MBP?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gameface, Oct 11, 2010.

  1. gameface macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #1
    I have always had a laptop for freelance work. It was for agency's that would call me in to do video work but had no station (ie edit suite) for me to work at. So in the past my mbp's have come in handy. Over the last year and a half my workload has increased and I have been working mainly out of my home suite.

    So, my $2000 laptop has been relegated to a web surfing, email machine. I can't remember tha last time I launched FCP or even PS on it. I was thinking about ditching it for an ipad. Will I regret not having it? The old adage of you never knew how much you needed something until it's gone keeps ringing in my head and don't know if I should take the plunge.

    Also, I haven't been paying attention to the rumors about the ipad so if I did decide to take the "nestea plunge" is now an OK time or should I wait for rev2?
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    The first time you're called to do anything more than web browsing, e-mail, or playing a game you will miss your MBP. That's all the iPad is good for.
     
  3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #3
    Do you have a desktop mac? If you do then you could probably make due with that and an iPad. No need for a MBP.

    However, if you are planning to elminate everything except the iPad--bad, bad move. I've needed my computer to restore my iPad on a few occasions. The iPad won't play every video out there or run every website either.
     
  4. gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #4
    I have a ~$10K edit suite in my apartment where I do (now) 90% of my editing work. The other 10% is at agency's or post houses that have suites for me to work in. I also use my iphone 3gs for my email when I am away from home suite. I literally don't bring my laptop anywhere with me anymore which is sad(?) because they used to go everywhere with me.
     
  5. ditzy macrumors 68000

    ditzy

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    #5
    To me it sounds like you have the perfect use case for the iPad. Everything that you do with you laptop now you can do with the iPad. The MBP can do more than the iPad but if you don't actually do more with it, you might as well have an iPad.
     

Share This Page