Will I miss my mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bioguy35, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Bioguy35 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Considering the switch to mac after being a lifelong PCer. One feature I really like about my PC is the wheelmouse. I find it's great for scrolling (wheel) and selecting text (buttons). I was wondering if anyone who has made the switch could tell me if they had a hard time adjusting to the trackpad. I borrowed a friends macbook and was going through wheelmouse withdrawl after a few hours. I realize there is the magic mouse, but it doesn't have a wheel. Can I use a bluetooth wheelmouse? Will it be effective?

I'm considering a 13" MBP.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

3. jim4spam macrumors member

Yes, I'm using a wheel mouse right now. Scroll wheel moves the contents of windows up and down as you'd expect. When I'm using the trackpad- two finger swipe up and down to scroll.. and when I'm at a desk I use the mouse and the scroll wheel. I use Logitec and MacAlly mice with scroll wheels but also have a magic mouse connected to the iMac. they all work.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I have become completely used to the trackpad. I don't like using mice at all anymore if I can avoid it.

5. Bioguy35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I'm excited about getting a shiny new mac. But was afraid the trackpad learning curve would hurt my productivity and leave me frustrated.

6. stordoff macrumors regular

It might for a few days, but stick with it. With the gestures (particularly in Lion) , I feel much more productive than I ever did with a mouse. The only time I miss it is if I'm trying to do something pixel perfect (e.g. artwork), but I just keep a USB mouse around for those times.

7. willieva macrumors 6502

The magic mouse is very nice. Lets you scroll like with a wheel, still has the control of a mouse, but also has the multi finger gestures of a trackpad.

The trackpad is nice for a cluttered workspace, but if you have enough room for a mouse the magic mouse is a great way to go.

8. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I don't use a mouse at all... I have a Magic Mouse but it's still in the iMac box... I use the Magic Trackpad and Marble Mouse to do more precise mouse movements.

9. makinao macrumors regular

Don't worry. Apple trackpads are second to none for "productivity". Learning all the gestures won't take that long. When you do, it will make you wonder what took you so long to get a mac.

10. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I used to have a Dell Inspiron laptop and I would always use a mouse. In fact, I'd get mad at myself if I went somewhere with my laptop and forgot to bring the mouse. When I first got my Snow Leopard Macbook Pro in 2010, I still preferred to have a mouse most of the time, but I liked the trackpad enough to somewhat blur that preference. Now with Lion, I love the trackpad and resort to using a mouse only when I need extreme precision or rapid-clicking (like for games).

I recommend trying out the trackpad for a few weeks before getting a mouse. Learn the gestures, how to use Spaces and whatnot. For me, it became natural very quickly and I enjoyed the smoothness and sensitivity of the trackpad, and even navigate. Heck, it just felt right. Also, try natural scrolling out. I used to hate it, but then I tried it out for a few days and also got used to that very quickly. For me, it made scrolling feel more like how it made the trackpad feel like an extension of the screen, kind of like how touchscreen devices feel when you scroll on them.

Tl;dr: just give it a chance. :D

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

i've got snow leopard. i've always used a mouse with my netbook/laptop, but after getting the mbp i put the mouse away. the trackpad is a brilliant innovation, and (for me) it realizes the potential of the computer far more effectively than a mouse. i recommend trying it out.

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

you wont miss it....more efficient than a mouse if you have the right gestures from the apps (bettertouchtool)

13. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Miss it? Why do you have to miss it?

If you like a mouse with a wheele-thingi-me-bob, just use one.

I have mouse and a track pad on my desk, what I use depends on what application I have open. Given they are both wireless, i can just pop them out of the way in a corner when they’re not in use.

14. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

you should give the trackpad a try, my productivity has gone up significantly, i have basically all commands in reach. i can type and swipe practically at the same time (using my thumbs) for quick navigation. as well as change pages, open close tabs and clear the screen or launch spaces (or whatever it is now) with a few finger gestures. My mouse is now only used for gaming or intensive image editing. I wish they could make the trackpad gaming capable that would be awesome.

15. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I don't think you'll miss the mouse; I *LOVE* the Apple TrackPad, and this is coming from someone who is a heavy user of scroll wheels and right-clicks!

After using the trackpad gestures on OS X, I just can't imagine going back to a 2-button/wheel mouse ever again! Screw that....! The trackpad is just so organic and comfortable (after a slight adjustment from the OLD ways of doing things)!

16. cperry2 macrumors regular

Just wanted to join the chorus and note that you should give the trackpad a try, in addition to your wheel mouse. The trackpad implementation is one of the things that place macs/ osx miles and miles ahead of windows, and is pretty much essential for getting around lion efficiently. It really highlights the advantage of apple's hardware/software symbiosis.

The only thing I would be concerned about is that lion's "natural scrolling" works better with the trackpad than the wheel mouse. Try both on both devices and choose one, I guess.

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

I needed a mouse with my last netbook. After I switched to the MBP 13" a few months ago, I haven't touched it. I had no idea how fantastic the trackpad would be. I think I stored the mouse in a drawer somewhere.

18. Rasan macrumors member

I think it depends on what you are doing. I still have my old Logitech mx 518 hooked onto my Imac, but for the single purpose of gaming. I couldnt manage to play games like Starcraft 2 or CS:Source with the Trackpad or the magic mouse, but that is not what they were designed for. For working and anything else on the computer i found the magic mouse or trackpad much more convenient and very fast to learn. The trackpad on the MBA actually is so good and so nice integrated with Lion it took me less than 10 minutes to get used to it.

19. ts3 macrumors newbie

No worries there, the trackpad is a great tool. Take your time to learn the gestures (go to system preferences -> trackpad & look at the demos for the different gestures, then practice :) ) & some keyboard shortcuts and you should be set.

Swiping up with four fingers to bring mission control, down for expose and sideways to switch between desktops is both beautiful and useful. You might decide you don't need a mouse after all (as I did).

20. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

You'll get used to it. I love the trackpad and bought the Magic Trackpad for when I'm home docking the MBP. Of course, keep a mouse on-hand for detailed use. Can't imagine using Lion w/ out the Trackpad.

21. psykick5 macrumors 6502

I only use a mouse when I game or photo edit.

22. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

+1 to that, that's about the only thing you need a pure mouse for.

23. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Total mouse dependency disappears once you get the hang of the trackpad. In fact, it's more of an annoyance to have a mouse using up desk space and getting in the way. It does take a bit to get used to, but once you're there, you probably won't go back.

24. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

haha good joke.
    miss the mouse
    oh that made my day :p

anyways on a more serious note, im so used to my 9 month MBP [13"] that i use my PC desktop mouse as if it was a trackpad [you know the middle scrolly thingy... hmm let me explain it better:

Two swipes up on Mac = Go down = Me scrolling up on my PC mouse on my desktop [Windows]

it was rather insane of me haha, but im used to both now, and i like the trackpad,

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not keep using a wheel mouse?

I have a magic mouse that has the "magic" pimple. I also use a generic wheel mouse for my work computer. I couldn't work without a mouse, that is if I had to rely on the track pad/magic pad