Will I need a USB cable with a new printer (HP CM1415fnw) that has wifi?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dloreski, Jul 24, 2012.

1. dloreski macrumors member

I'm buying a new multi function color laser printer that has wifi. Its the HP CM1415fnw.
    I'm coming from a 10 year old laser printer and don't know anything about printers with wifi built in.
    Does this mean I can print AND scan from it through its wifi signal?
    If so, will I want a USB cable for anything if I'm just using it with laptops?
    I appreciate any info and advice.
    Thanks!
    - Dave

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

i just got the hp 5520, looks like it's pretty similar in function, just a lower quality printer than the one you're getting.
    all i had to do was set up the wifi, via the touchscreen on the printer, and install the software on my computer. no USB cable needed. can print and scan.

also have an app for iOS, so can scan from my ipad.

3. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Probably a USB cable is not needed, for a wifi printer; however, a USB cable may be required for firmware updates.

For example: Canon requires the printer be hooked up to PC/Mac via USB for firmware updates for AirPrint & Google Cloud Print.

For most people, they buy a printer and it works and they typically don't stay up on firmware updates.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I setup a Wifi Kodak printer for my parents this past weekend, first Wifi printer I ever setup BTW. The whole process took about 10 mins and no USB cable was needed. 5 minutes to connect the printer to the network (via a built in touchscreen) and 5 minutes to install the software on my MBA and my parents laptops.

5. njaremka macrumors 6502

with my canon mg5320, i needed a usb cable to update the firmware. everything else works fine over wifi.