will I need antivirus software if I run windows on my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

If I only use the internet like firefox from mac os x, & not from windows on my mac, am I still vulnerable to viruses?

for example; I have windows explore open, or a windows program and firefox running from mac os x? could I get viruses?

what if I just have windows parallels installed, but not running at a moment while I have firefox running from mac osx?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Shouldn't be able to get a virus if you don't use the internet directly from windows, but adding a free, basic antivirus program wouldn't be a bad idea either. Definitely no need for an expensive subscription program

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you are running Windows on a Mac, then you are running Windows. If you are running Windows, then you are vulnerable unless you have taken precautions. Internet Explorer is not the only vector by which your computer may be attacked--not by any means. Too many Windows computers to count have been infected before setup have been completed. With no web browser ever having been launched and no email ever having been received, Windows computers have been infected. Free antivirus software is available for Windows. Whether you use free software or you use commercial software, install antivirus software in your Windows environment, update it, and then use it to scan and disinfect your Windows environment immediately.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you run Windows on your Mac, it's no different than running Windows on any other PC... you're Windows partition is vulnerable to malware, so you should run anti-virus protection. If you're running Mac OS X, that's a different story.

Mac Virus/Malware Info