Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrndll

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi there :),

I have a question about the Lion license that will be available for purchase in July.

At home, we have three computers with OSX. Two of them are running Snow Leopard and a third one, Tiger. One of them belongs to my wife and the other two are mine.

My question is: How many licenses will I have to buy? (At the keynote I heard that one copy per user should be enough, but I'm not sure what that means).

Also, Will I be able to upgrade from Tiger to Lion or would I have to buy Snow Leopard too?

Thanks for your help!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
If you sign into the App store on all three with the same account, you will be able to download it on all three. However, as of right now, there is no direct upgrade path from Tiger or Leopard to Lion.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Also, Will I be able to upgrade from Tiger to Lion or would I have to buy Snow Leopard too?

Thanks for your help!

Offically you'd probably have to get snow leopard too, but it should be possible to burn the actual installer dmg to dvd hopefully, and bypass that.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Assuming Apple downloads Lion as a .dmg file, you should be able to directly burn it to a disk from Disk Utility.

Or, if you want to save on discs and install even faster, take an external hard drive, create a free partition, and make disc utility clone the dmg image to that partition. Reboot your Mac, hold down a few buttons to select the start up drive, select the any bootable drive that has the name "Install" in it, and you'll be setting up Lion in seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.