Will I need to use a Scratch Disk with my new Mac Pro & CS3?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by supernovastar, Oct 8, 2007.

1. supernovastar macrumors newbie

I plan on purchasing a mac pro and CS3 when Leopard comes out (hopefully an updated Mac Pro!) I plan on upgrading the RAM to 5GB and was just wondering if it's worth getting an extra internal HD to use as a scratch disk for Photoshop? I am a serious amateur photographer so therefore will be editing a lot of very large images.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Although a scratch disk is always helpful with Photoshop, with that amount of RAM, it may not be as useful to become mandatory upon initial purchase.

I would see how you get on without it, because you can always buy a fast hard drive later and drop it in yourself for little time and expense. Photoshop scratch files can get up to 10GB in size, rarely larger, so even a small fast drive like a 10,000 rpm Western Digital Raptor will do.

3. CTYankee macrumors 6502

Mine are usually in the 15-30GB size....20x30 300ppi files with several layes and masks. 100 history states is what really adds up.

4. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

i agree with blue velvet, a WD Raptor 150GB 10k drive would be the best for a scratch disk. Heck, having one as a scratch disk, another with your OS and apps on it, and then a big storage drive would be better still! Photoshop moves alot of data around, so speed does count.

5. supernovastar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for the advice, I think I will just get a small drive to start off with, a lot of my images are 16bit 35"x11" panoramas that can be 500MB in size, so I'm sure the extra space will come in handy.

6. tribe3 macrumors 6502