Will I notice a difference between 13" and 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chaoticbear, Feb 8, 2010.

1. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, I've got some money that's burning a hole in my pocket! I've got a macbook 2.2 (rev D) that I've had for a couple of years now. I have learned that I do not need to have something made of white plastic in my life! I have had my heart set on an MBP for some time now. The price difference between the 13" and 15" is really very significant. I'm trying to get out for $1200 or so. I'm not dissatisfied with the performance of my current MB at all, and I'll be able to recoup some of that money by selling my (very cosmetically damaged) MB afterwards.

Anyway, when shopping in that price range, will I notice 2" on the screen? I'd really prefer unibody, but that's kind of pushing it, and would basically have the choice between an older MBP 15" or a newer 13". Refurbs are few and far between right now from apple, but I'm being diligent and watching there and craigslist.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No idea if it will make a difference or not, since you didn't mention what you use your machine for. If you are already satisfied with your Macbook, I don't see why you wouldn't be satisfied with the 13" MBP.

3. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I would recommend you just buy a new, base model 13" unibody. You want to wait a week or so though, because there are rumors of a refresh, but I think its BS.

4. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

The 13" is your best bet. This is coming from someone who has a 15" MBP. It has all the power and the portability you need. Good luck.

5. brucem91 macrumors 6502

I've used both sizes, my first mac the 13" unibody macbook, then coming to college and getting the 15" unibody. Going up was no issues for me, obviously. But whenever I see my stepdad(who now has my old 13"), the size going down sometimes takes time to adjust. But yea, the 13" is a nice size, especially if you use an external monitor at home.

6. MICMAC247 macrumors regular

MICMAC247

I have the 15" after spending a significant amount of time trying to decide between the 13" and the 15". I'm glad I went with the 15". A few friends have the 13" and it's just as good, but I personally enjoy having the bigger screen. You wouldn't go wrong with either one.

Also, like others have mentioned, maybe hold off for a little bit just in case there is a refresh.

7. RealaT macrumors regular

I used a 15" MBP for nearly 3 years then changed to a 13". Both are great machines but I preferred the 13" for the lighter weight and more compact size.

At the end of the day, any model is a good machine, it just depends on which size screen you prefer.

8. chaoticbear thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've got plans of sitting on my hands until the end of February, just in case, but after that I've gotta pull the trigger.

I'd read about all the rumors of a new MBP this month, but I'm very impatient lol. When I ordered this MB, they announced a refresh before it even shipped, but Apple gave me the difference back.

9. DJTHEFUNNY macrumors member

You Will Notice The Difference In Screen Size For Sure. I Went From A 13 Inch iBook To A 15 Inch MacBook Pro. A 13 Inch Is Fine For Pictures Internet And iTunes And So On....The DAILY Things. However When You Do Things Like Photo Editing, Music, Programming You Will Seriously Want (Dare I Say, Need) The Extra Screen Real Estate.

waiting is DEFF A Good Choice

10. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

currently using a 15" and 13" for graphic design. the 13's real estate is perfectly fine for basic tasks and light design work. the drawback of no dedicated gpu is countered with portability.

11. alcaholic macrumors newbie

alcaholic

I was in the same boat. Get the 13, it really is a great computer for the price

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Apple had the 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz C2D for $999 in its refurb section just a few days ago. They all sold out quickly however. If you want a particular refurb it's best to check early and often at the store. It might take several days of getting up early and checking to find them available. Persistence usually pays off -- be ready to buy it when something you want does show up, because it may not be available very long.

13. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I say go for the 13". I have 13" and my friend has 15" and I have gotten so used to my 13" so Im perfectly fine with it. I use his sometimes as well, and they are both amazing computers, but I prefer the portability of the 13". And it's still perfect for some light photoshop/illustrator. I would recommend getting an external monitor if you are using it as your primary computer though. I use my 13" with 2 external monitors (22" Samsung and 23" Dell). It's the perfect setup for me! Ultimate portability and a massive desktop when I get home! I love it!