Will I notice any difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r1400sch, Jun 28, 2007.

1. r1400sch macrumors member

I've been thinking about buying the ram update for SR MBPs of 4GB, but I'm not really sure if it will do much for me. The most intense stuff I really do is use garage band and iMovie (just for fun stuff, not really serious editing), work with data/statistical analysis (not huge files...most data i work with takes up less than 30 MB), play music from a very very large itunes library, browse photos from a large iphoto library, and do lots of internet research. And here or there I might play a 3d game ;P.
    If I went from 2 to 4 GB, would I actually notice a difference? If not, what sort of stuff would I have to be doing to take advantage of the extra memory/notice improvement?
    Thanks in advance!

2. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

Run activity monitor and look at how much ram everything uses? Ignore "Virtual memory" information.

3. DZL macrumors regular

sounds like you don't even need a macbook pro, much less a bump in RAM.

Unless you're doing heavy (and i mean film-quality resolution) photoshop work, or compositing work (iMovie doesn't apply here), then 2GB should be more than enough for you.

4. matperk macrumors 6502

Run your normal stuff then (like aliquis said) run activity monitor and see how much free ram you have and keep an eye on it while you're working.

Also I think you can look at the page outs and if that's high--it's one way you can tell if you need more ram.