will i notice difference between 1.6 and 1.86?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by heliocentric, Jan 24, 2009.

1. heliocentric Guest

hi im looking into buying a macbook air and was just wondering if their is much difference in performance between the 2 cpu options when used with the sata hard drive?

also any advice to consider before buying a rev 2 macbook air would be great

thanks

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I doubt you'll notice the difference between cpu/processors 1.6 to 1.86

However, what you'll definitely notice is the difference in speed between the HDD and SSD

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The difference in speed is negligible. Save yourself the $200.

4. heliocentric thread starter Guest

i am going from an old 2.4ghz macbook

the speed difference wont be to painfull with a 1.6ghz will it?

considering the faster front side bus of the macbook air and fast ddr3 ram...

5. danrel macrumors member

danrel

I don't think the speed difference will be painful at all really. I'm typing on a Rev A 1.6GHz MacBook Air and my last laptop was a 2.5GHz MacBook Pro with 4GB of memory. To be quite honest, I don't really notice that much of a difference in speed, besides opening programs. If you intend on using Photoshop or Illustrator for extended periods of time, I wouldn't suggest that, but if your using a Rev B Air with the much faster GPU in it(compared to mine) then you should be able to get away with more.

Hope this helps,

-danrel

6. heliocentric thread starter Guest

oh yeah i forgot about the better gpu!

might be even able to do some light gaming

7. kvasir macrumors regular

I'm with danrel on this one. I'm on the $999 MBA 1.6 and I had a 1.83 CD MBP. I don't notice much of a difference in speed at all. I do notice that some programs take longer to load, but web browsing, word processing, and iPhoto work are mostly the same. The disk slows you down, but honestly, I love it.

Plus the screen is magnificent. It kicks my MBP screen's rear. Save the cash.

8. heliocentric thread starter Guest

cool

also how loud this the fan on the macbook air rev b?

same as a macbook? quieter?

thanks

9. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

It can get loud if you are running something intensive or using it in a place with poor ventilation. (IE a bed)

But I am using it on my lap now for browsing and it is at 2499rpm and is completely silent.

10. heliocentric thread starter Guest