Will I notice much of a difference with a new MBA vs my Mid 2013 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dan_j_finn, Mar 31, 2017.

1. dan_j_finn macrumors newbie

I guess I've owned this laptop for a couple of years now. It's been hands down the best laptop or computer I've ever owned. Not a single issue with it and I'm kind of rough with it.

I also have an iMac but I rarely use it, I find myself using the MBA 95% of the time so I've decided to sell the iMac and was thinking about maybe upgrading the MBA.

I've got a Mid 2013, 1.3ghz i5, 4 gig RAM, intel HD 5000 graphics card.

I'm into photography and do a fair bit of Photoshop. This is really the only time that the laptop sometimes feels sluggish. Would I noticed mush of a performance increase with the current generation MBA over my current laptop?

2. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Honestly the performance difference between the 2013 MBA and 2015 MBA (that's the one that is currently on sale) is fairly small (despite being 2 years apart it's actually only has a processor that is 1 generation newer), but the biggest advantage to upgrading given your use case is probably going from 4 GB of RAM to 8 GB of RAM.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have a 2013 i7/8gb/512gb and am still very happy, no plans to upgrade, the difference would be negligible. In your case you could go with the i7 processor and get almost a 50% performance bump (geekbench 2 rating on your 2013 i5 MBA is 6616 and the 2015 i7 is 9070). I guess it depends on your software and use as to how noticeable this would be. Getting 8gb RAM and a 512gb SSD would also be a nice upgrade. The SSD on the 2015 13" MBA is significantly faster, I believe it approaches 1gb/sec. I think they have slightly improved battery life as well.

As much as I love my MBA, not sure if I would buy another one today. But if you you are comfortable with it for the next few years and it fits your budget, why not go for it?

4. dan_j_finn thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see an option on the apple site to get a MBA with either a i7 or 512 SSD. Are you talking about something other than a MBA?

Battery life is pretty critical to me so I think I'm going to stick with something in the MBA line.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

6. dan_j_finn thread starter macrumors newbie

Found it, thanks! Now it seems like bumping up to that would be more a significant difference from my current model.

7. dan_j_finn thread starter macrumors newbie

Pulled the trigger this morning on a new MBA with i7. Any opinions on what my '13 MBA is worth or where to start with a price when I list it for sale? It's in good shape and has no issues.

8. GSDLVR123 macrumors member

GSDLVR123

Hope you enjoy - I just purchased a 'spare' - it is a mid 2013 MBA with 8gb, had Battery Cycle Count of 120...it still had the original paperwork, box and not a scratch.It has a Tech 21 Case on it. I paid 600 bucks - felt great about it.

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Did you get a refurb? If not, you might consider returning it since I see Apple currently has the top spec model (i7 8gb/512gb) in stock for $1319 which is a nice discount over the new price. These come and go at the refurb store, yesterday there weren't any MBA's when I checked.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G...nch-macbook-air-22ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

In my opinion, based on more hours than I am willing to admit of reading benchmarks, comparisons, reviews, chip specs, etc.,:
    The 2013 i7/8GB/512GB MBA is the best MBA ever, dollar for dollar. ​

11. dan_j_finn thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not but thanks to your heads up I was able to cancel my order and get one of those. I should have checked today before purchasing. I had looked a couple of days ago and they didn't have any. The price is about the same as the new one I had purchased originally except switching to the refurb basically got me a free upgrade to 512g.

12. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Cool. Since you plan to keep it awhile, you will not regret getting the big SSD. :cool:

13. dan_j_finn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's a nice perk. It wasn't a must have since I'm only using about 150g currently but it will be nice to have for sure.

14. dan_j_finn thread starter macrumors newbie

To come back and answer my own original question, there is a very, very noticeable bump in performance from my old MBA to this new i7 MBA. Everything is significantly snappier include photoshop. It's a much improved experience for sure.

15. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

How come all I see is i5 on apple and other sites yet on here you guys keep mentioning i7?

Sorry newb

16. dan_j_finn thread starter macrumors newbie

If you scroll up you'll see an answer from Boyd01 from when I asked the same thing.

17. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01