Will I receive a download for Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Zaphyrus, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Zaphyrus macrumors member

So I've decided to upgrade to the new MBA 11'' to use on a month long trip I will be going on in two weeks. My concern is, if I buy this MBA, will I still have to pay for Mavericks when it's released? I would assume when Mavericks come out, they'll be loading them on newer produced MBA's. Does Apple do anything to compensate for buyers that picked up their new MacBooks within a reasonable time period?

I would just find it dumb if Apple left earlier buyers of the 13' MBA in the dust with the OSX update whereas newer ones will likely get it.

Cheers

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Apple has an uptodate program. As long as you fill out the info (like your serial and when you bought, etc) you will get a credit for the new os. At least that was how it was last year

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Apple should give you an update that doesn't come put for 4-5 months for free?

If you buy a Mac within 30 days, you'll get it for free.

4. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming Mavericks will be between $20 and $30. Compared to the $1000+ MacBook you purchased it seems pretty insignificant, but the up to date program should provide it for you anyway.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The up to date program doesn't kick in until a few months before release. If you buy your MBA in a few weeks you'll have to spend $20 (if they continue to charge for OS X updates this year.)

6. Zaphyrus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the input guys! I guess only time will tell

7. Meyvn macrumors 6502

More like $10-20 is my guess. Apple never increases upgrade pricing for OS X. Wouldn't be surprised if they move to free upgrades either. But $14.99 sounds more realistic.

8. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

I bought my iMac this time last year, and I got a free Mountain Lion upgrade. But ML also had a release date set in stone when I ordered, and I believe that was in July. I was just barely in the window for a free upgrade, so unless it comes out in a month or so, I would not expect a free upgrade.

Funny thing is, Apple took too long sending me the redemption code, so I went ahead and dropped $20 on it anyway, then gave my free upgrade to a friend :D

9. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I'd put my guess at $20. They wouldn't make it more expensive than Mountain Lion, but they still want to make a profit so I doubt they'll go much lower.

10. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Yeah. It's a complex situation. To the extent that charging only $20 helps them with PR, getting people to update, and selling more Macs it could be the case going forward that charging less than $20 is even more helpful.

Or not. We'll see.

11. astoxos macrumors regular

12. AppleMacNerd macrumors regular

This would mean it would be around £6-7 in the UK for a new OSX it's not going to be that because that is insanely cheap for people in the UK for a new Operating System.

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It will cost me around £15.00 UK for both Macs....Pretty cheap when you look at the cost of Windows stuff. It's always been Apples policy, and I'm happy to pay...Looking forward to it more than IOS7 to be honest.

14. Zaphyrus thread starter macrumors member

Totally agree. I've been waiting years for multiple display support like this!

15. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

What are your thoughts on iOS 7? Have you tried it? What's it like?