Will I regret not getting 16GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soundcheck, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Soundcheck macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently returned my rMBP 13 because i wanted to upgrade to 15.
    I dont know if im gonna go with 8 or 18 GB of ram.

What do you think?
    Is it worth the extra 300dollars(counted in local money) to get the extra 8gb?

Im gonna use the computer as my main computer aswell as my working computer where i do a lot of programming and some minor photoshop work.

I occasionally play some games like SC2 and CS:GO.
    And maybe ill install some new games later on.

What do you think, do i need the 16GB?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Chances are very good that you'll do fine with 8GB.

3. danielwerner macrumors regular

danielwerner

Nope, personally I don't think so. Not regarding the stuff you'll use the macbook for. :)

Sure, 16GB is always a good investment, but it certainly not worth the money if you're not going to use more heavy video editing, 3d modelling, etc.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

The way you phrased the question answers it - yes, you will. Not for performance, but because it seems as if you want to.

16 GB will also make it a bit easier to sell down the road . . .

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

For what you listed 8gb is plenty. But 16gb will always be better and make the MBP easier to sell down the road.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

7. danielwerner macrumors regular

danielwerner

Stop saying down the road. I can't see how it's motivated to pay 300 bucks for something you wont use that much.

Sure, when you eventually sell the macbook, it might be a bit more attractive on the market, but you still won't get 300 dollars more than for a 8gb one.

8. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

200*

9. zakee00, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

I don't see how upping the RAM to 16GB will increase resale value, personally, unless you're looking to sell it within the next couple of years when the i7 is still speedy. A professional requiring that much RAM is unlikely to buy a second hand rMBP in 2014-15, and the average consumer will not need for that much RAM at the rate that RAM requirements are increasing.

Lots say "It's only $200 ($300) dollars on a $2000 machine, just do it" but I'm apparently not as wealthy as them- the base model was a stretch financially for me, and for many others.

So go with what your needs will dictate. For your purposes, 8GB will probably be great, unless you want to run Xcode, SC2, and Photoshop...at the same time :p

Another thing I take into consideration is the amount of base RAM offered throughout Apple's Mac lineup. I feel like software requirements are constrained by the hardware made within the previous few years, and 8GB is twice what the Air line and the base MacBook Pros ship with, more than what the base Mac Pro ships with (6GB), and equal to what the brand new iMacs ship with. In other words, 16 is a lottt more than what the vast majority of users need, and that will be reflected in software/media built around 4-8GB machines rather than 16 within the next few years.

10. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

It's going to bother you. Get 16GB. You'll never use it, but as said previously, it's going to bother you.

11. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

12. danielwerner macrumors regular

danielwerner

Yeah, in the US. In Europe it's 300 dollars. And 3000+ for the machine.

13. zakee00, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

14. Exana macrumors regular

Agree.

BTW, go into terminal and type
    Code:
    purge
    There will really be available. :) Some blue will turn to green. :D

15. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Although once Free RAM is used up OSX loves to start paging to the HD, even with loads of inactive memory.

I'm hoping Apple uses the Samsung 840 Pro controller for the next retina refresh. Then swapping should be a fairly nippy (840pro does 100MB/s 4k random reads ! :) )

16. dendkmac macrumors member

dendkmac

17. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Like everyone said above:

I don't know if you'll regret not getting 16GB but I know for certain you won't regret getting it.

18. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So now the ram in rMBP can't be upgraded like the cMBP? Dang! more wallet hurt.

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Nonetheless, 16 - 6.87 = 9.13GB used, which is still more than 8GB. If there were a middle ground option (say 12GB) you'd have a valid point, but in this case it's either 8 or 16.

20. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

op is doing 'minor photoshop work' and counter strike, not Logic Pro + 25 Safari tabs. His/her decision ultimately, but I still figure 16GB is overkill for the masses.

21. AirThis macrumors 6502a

OP, It depends how long you keep your computers. I keep mine 3-5 yrs. So it was 16Gb for me. I run VMs as well so really a no-brainer.

22. a3vr macrumors member

Logic Pro is the only intensive app running in this example and it is using 1.13GB. I guarantee you 8Gb would be plenty for this and there wouldn't be page outs. Just because the computer uses 9Gb out of 16 doesn't mean that it wouldn't be fine with 8. The computer is set up to use as much available ram as it can, not because it needs to.

8Gb is very high end on most laptops. Very few even have the ability to go higher. Heck, most desktops dont have 8Gb. To say that you need 16Gb to run Photoshop, Lightroom, or in this example Logic Pro is absurd. I'm not saying there isn't a reason to have 16Gb, but for a vast majority it is overkill, even 3 or 4 years from now.

23. TheRichboy247 macrumors member

My friend purchased a 15" rMBP 2.6GHz model and he is kind of pissed that he didn't get the extra RAM. He didn't need it, but it bothered him for a while. I think he's over it now.

24. SchuettS macrumors 6502

You shouldn't be asking other people what you need. If your worried about it, check your usage and decide for yourself. I barely use 4 gb of ram, so I opted to not upgrade. How much ram do you use?

25. hugesaggyboobs macrumors member

I wish I got a larger HD, but the 8 GB RAM is ok.