Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killianb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
UK
I am currently using a MacBook Pro which I have only had since June 08. I absolutely love this thing and it's the best computer I've ever had. However, previously to this, I had a MacBook (white) which I liked just as much. The reason I upgraded to the Pro was mainly for casual gaming -- I often play Counter Strike: Source and a few other games that just weren't really playable on the white MacBook.

The only thing I don't like about the MacBook Pro is its size. I know to many people, the extra 2 inches aren't a big difference, but, I travel around an awful lot and I much preferred carrying a 13" MacBook to the Pro.

So I am now considering selling my MacBook Pro to get the new MacBook. Do you guys think I might regret this decision? A lot of people on other forums have said that for the games I play, the new MacBook would be fine but no-one had tried them themselves and so couldn't guarantee it.

Can someone please help me with this?! Lol. ;)

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I would say definitely not. The Macbook Pro (even the previous generation) is much better than the current generation Macbook because:
1. It has a FireWire port, and the 13" Macbook does not (idk if you use this or know what it is, but for me I back up my files to an external HD that uses FireWire)
2. It's graphics card is waaaay better
3. It will last you longer in the quick-evolving technological world
4. Depending on which model you have, it has more RAM and/or HD space and/or processor speed

Hope these suggestions help

killianb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
UK
Thanks for your advice. I think I just want the novelty of a new MacBook, lol.

I don't use Firewire but can understand the people that do are annoyed with the lack of one on the new notebooks.

The graphics card is a big thing for me -- like I said before, I do like casual gaming and I don't really want to buy a console.

OK, I need another couple of people to give the same opinion before I take it off of eBay! Haha!! :D

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
If long term purchase is in your mind then I would stick with the MBP. I just gave my mom my original MBP which is almost three years old. I would probably still have it but I use VMWare Fusion because of work and the 2GB memory limit on the original MBP was killing me. Even though its three years old it's still faster and more reliable than my mom's old Dell.

I have the early 2008 MBP and it will probably still be good 2 years from now.

On the other hand if you can deal with the poorer graphics performance, really want a smaller profile, don't need firewire, and understand that you will be upgrading the machine rather sooner than later then go for it. The new macbooks sure are sexy.

scott.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Thanks for your advice. I think I just want the novelty of a new MacBook, lol.
I'm in the same boat as you and realized pretty much the same thing.

I think my plan now is to wait until Snow Leopard and the next iLife are installed on Macs, and if I'm STILL wanting the "new" MacBook, I'll jump then.

Gives plenty of time for those Rev A hardware issues that don't immediately pop up to be addressed, also. (Although hears hoping Apple nailed it perfectly this time!) :)

killianb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
UK
Hmmmm.... I am in a pickle. See, the smaller profile is a big thing for me. And like you say, the new MacBooks do look good.

And the games I play aren't exactly too demanding. I mean, CS:S is years old and Half Life 2 played well on the white MacBook.

The HDD size isn't that much of a bother -- I have a 200GB HD now and only use 100GB of it, if that. Plus they are so easy to upgrade in the new notebooks.

Hmmm... what to do?!

bunit

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2007
Westerly RI
I am also in the same situation. I currently have one of the original macbook pro's with 1.83 processor, and a 80 gb hard drive. I have maxed out the ram.
I'm considering either buying a new macbook, or upgrading my hard drive.
Can't decide what to do. I don't do any gaming and my current computer is alot more computer than what i need, therfore I would not need a new pro.
Just looking for some more hard drive space, and I love the looks of the new macbook.

killianb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
UK
The only thing that is really making the difference for me is the gaming experience. If someone who has tried any games on the new MacBook could just let me know what their experience was, it would make my decision a lot easier.

If the games I play run smoothly, I would much prefer the smaller MacBook than my Pro.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The only thing that is really making the difference for me is the gaming experience. If someone who has tried any games on the new MacBook could just let me know what their experience was, it would make my decision a lot easier.

If the games I play run smoothly, I would much prefer the smaller MacBook than my Pro.

Somehow I highly doubt that someone telling you the gaming experience is ok on the new Macbooks will be a deal closer for you. You said it more than once that you only do occassional gaming and the screen is too big on the MBP. Be honest with yourself and the forum, you're looking for people to help you justify dumping a perfectly good machine that's barely over a year old in favor of a new Mac with less offerings that you got caught up in the hype over. Dude I think you just want people to help you feel better so you'll feel less guilty for throwing it on Ebay so soon without thinking logically.

killianb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
UK
Somehow I highly doubt that someone telling you the gaming experience is ok on the new Macbooks will be a deal closer for you. You said it more than once that you only do occassional gaming and the screen is too big on the MBP. Be honest with yourself and the forum, you're looking for people to help you justify dumping a perfectly good machine that's barely over a year old in favor of a new Mac with less offerings that you got caught up in the hype over. Dude I think you just want people to help you feel better so you'll feel less guilty for throwing it on Ebay so soon without thinking logically.

Think what you like mate, I just came for some advice!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Think what you like mate, I just came for some advice!

Ha ha, think what YOU want, you already put it on Ebay so you're looking for people to help you release the guilt. Why else would you come to the forum for advice AFTER you put it on Ebay? Hmm?? Good luck mate with your new Macbook with less features. BTW before you start to think I'm trolling, I just bought the new 2.4Ghz Macbook but I would never trash a 1 year old MBP in favor of it.

killianb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
UK
Ha ha, think what YOU want, you already put it on Ebay so you're looking for people to help you release the guilt. Why else would you come to the forum for advice AFTER you put it on Ebay? Hmm?? Good luck mate with your new Macbook with less features. BTW before you start to think I'm trolling, I just bought the new 2.4Ghz Macbook but I would never trash a 1 year old MBP in favor of it.

I haven't already put it on eBay. I am considering it. I implied I had earlier but it was just a joke, hence I ended the sentence with 'haha :D'.

Aelyrin

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Missoula, Montana
I just "upgraded" to the new MB 2.4 with 4 gigs of ram from my old 17" 2.33ghz 2gigs of ram MBP.

Very very happy, build quality is vastly superior (smaller case helps, but the trackpad is wonderful, battery life seems better, screen reflections from the glass display completely suck, notebook feels extremely "solid" when you pick it up and carry it around. Lighter feeling than my wifes.)

I am similar to the OP insofar as I travel alot (10-15 days a month) which includes 30-40 hours in airports. That is a lot of time to spend lugging around my 17" MBP and not being able to open it in-flight because they old 5 foot nothing lady in front of me whos feet don't touch the ground has to recline her seat for more room.

So, end result: For me it wasnt as hard of a choice, my current MBP was older than what some of you have, so the upgrade was clear. Packing the same or better system into a 13.3in case that I can take with on trips was the perfect solution for me and I am very excited.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I just "upgraded" to the new MB 2.4 with 4 gigs of ram from my old 17" 2.33ghz 2gigs of ram MBP.

Very very happy, build quality is vastly superior (smaller case helps, but the trackpad is wonderful, battery life seems better, screen reflections from the glass display completely suck, notebook feels extremely "solid" when you pick it up and carry it around. Lighter feeling than my wifes.)

I am similar to the OP insofar as I travel alot (10-15 days a month) which includes 30-40 hours in airports. That is a lot of time to spend lugging around my 17" MBP and not being able to open it in-flight because they old 5 foot nothing lady in front of me whos feet don't touch the ground has to recline her seat for more room.

So, end result: For me it wasnt as hard of a choice, my current MBP was older than what some of you have, so the upgrade was clear. Packing the same or better system into a 13.3in case that I can take with on trips was the perfect solution for me and I am very excited.

Would the 15" MBP still have been too big for your needs? Just trying to find the right balance between power and portability for my next upgrade.

TFMTASAD

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
If your looking for protability, the Macbook can't be beat. I just got a 2.4 4GB ram unibody MB and it is a great little machine. Of course if you use a lot of firewire peripherals you won't be happy but if you don't care about FW400, just get it.

As far as gaming goes, it's A LOT better than the previous MB. I run WoW with a good mix of medium/high settings and I'm always above 40-45 fps. A HUGE improvement.

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I'm in the same boat. I have a first gen MBP 1.83 Core Duo. I would like to take it to work more often, but the thing is just too big. I'm just wanting to do Word, PowerPoint, Excel (or Numbers and Keynote). I don't need the screen real estate on the MBP and I have a 360 in case I want to play games. I would like something smaller and a little more solid.

I'll pass judgement when I visit the Apple Store on vacation this week. I'll be purchasing around Christmas time if I do go for it.

D.M.S

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
I was thinking of getting rid of my macbook pro 2ghz core duo about 3 weeks ago before all these new models came out.Now i actually have the cashola for a purchase I'm quite undecided.

My macbook pro has started to overheat a lot and well I travel a lot more now so something more portable was my main aim so I looked at the macbooks.

will i,or has anyone else, found a great big difference in going from 1440 to 1280?I've been using 1440 ever since i got the High Resolution 15" powerbook,then went to the macbook pro.

what are the speakers like on the macbooks?I remember a friend got a macbook the same time as i got my pro and the speakers were like chalk and cheese.have they made a change over the years?

Not exactly a fan of the aluminium macbooks so i'm leaniing towards the white one.even though it seems horribly underspeced compared to the previous macbooks available via refurbs.

edit:sorry.I am a fan of the new macbooks now.I don't like the black keys look but i didn't realise it was a backlit keyboard.For that feature i am on board.

edit:eek:k now i see that only the 2.4 is backlit.I downgraded my ticket to a standby ....

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
I am also in the same situation. I currently have one of the original macbook pro's with 1.83 processor, and a 80 gb hard drive. I have maxed out the ram.
I'm considering either buying a new macbook, or upgrading my hard drive.
Can't decide what to do. I don't do any gaming and my current computer is alot more computer than what i need, therfore I would not need a new pro.
Just looking for some more hard drive space, and I love the looks of the new macbook.

I was in your same boat. I have a Core Duo 2.16 Ghz MBP. I had a 120 GB HD and it was totally full. I had to decide whether to sell the Mac or buy a new one. I decided to stick with my old one... it does everything I need of it, and more. Even the original Rev A MBPs are still EXTREMELY fast. I purchased and had an authorized Apple store install a 500 GB internal HD. Best Mac upgrade I ever made in my life. Now I can use Bootcamp, have all my iTunes on my machine, etc. HD space is a life-saver!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.