Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I have a 2009 13" MBP 2.26 C2D, 4 GB RAM, and I am looking to upgrade to the 15" 2011, low end model. Now I am a college student, and I do a lot of webcaming(iChat), MS Office, Firefox, movie watching, and looking at large(100+ pgs) PDFs(>100MB), and yes, I do a lot of this at once. I can have about 7 or 8 things open at once. So far, my computer is holding up, but sometimes it can hang. Pretty soon I am also going to start playing some games, and I know the integrated graphics are a step up from my 9400M. I am really looking forward to the 15" screen, but I am wondering if I will really see a difference in my day to day activities with at 2.0 Core i7 Quad. I know that an i7 Quad is overkill for me, but I believe in resale value and future proofing. Also, do you think it would be worth it do upgrade the screen resolution?
Thanks in advance!

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I would suggest looking into getting a SSD and maybe maxing the ram at 8GB. That would take care of your lag issues. Unless your looking at getting into serious gaming and then you may consider the newer laptop... Personally I would say invest in the Ram and SSD and save the rest of the money.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
...I am wondering if I will really see a difference in my day to day activities with at 2.0 Core i7 Quad.

I know that an i7 Quad is overkill for me

Answered your own question - well done!

a_winner_is_you_1024.jpg

anon.ymous

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Performance wise, probably not a huge difference other than it will be able to handle your tasks well. A SSD in your current machine would probably make a more significant difference, as was mentioned before, but do you want to throw money at a 2 year old machine? If you plan on keeping the thing until it dies, definitely worth the investment. If you plan on selling the current one to help finace the new computer, I wouldn't throw a dime into it. Just bite the bullet now with the new machine. I'd sell as soon as you get the new machine (or just before you get it) so you can get the most money out of your current computer.

As for the high tea anti glare, I actually prefer movies on the glossy screen but that is of course subjective. I'd say spring for it if you can, for resale if nothing else. More likely to sell and/or get an extra 50 or 100 bucks out of the eventual sale of the machine. People love anti glare screens!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.