will i see a huge speed difference

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uptherighttree, Feb 9, 2012.

1. uptherighttree macrumors member

i currently have a 2008 intel 2.4ghz macbook pro with 4gig ram.

the screen is on its way out so am looking at upgrading.

will i notice a huge speed boost if i bought an i5 2.30 GHz with 4gig ram?

thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. uptherighttree thread starter macrumors member

especially for using something like Aperture?

i live in Aperture and PS most of the time so that's where I'd need the biggest speed boost

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Those apps will definitely benefit from the faster cpu, quad core and newer chipset. I would recommend getting 8gb of ram, over the 4 to allow both Aperture and Photoshop to fully leverage your hardware.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

6. Mojo1, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I sold my 2008 2.4 MBP in December after buying a 2.3 13" MBP last summer.

Yes, it's faster and smaller, which I like a lot. The boot-up time in Lion is much faster than Snow Leopard on the 15" MBP. The 15" is too big for how I like to travel, which is LIGHT.

4GB RAM may be plenty depending on what you do; try it first before upgrading.

I suggest using the excellent Power Support anti-glare film for $35. Apply it as soon as the MBP comes out of the box and skip having to clean the display before installing the film. When I compared the anti-glare film with my anti-glare 15" MBP I couldn't see a difference... Reflections are gone so No Worries about the ambient light.

I use the 13" MBP with a high-quality 24" NEC display. I think that I am done buying desktop Macs.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's exactly the type of program that you'll notice a huge difference on. The new 15's have 2 more processor cores, turbo boost, and better architecture, in raw processing power they're 3-4 times more powerful.