Will I see an upgrade or a downgrade if I do this?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Whackintosh, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

Hey everyone,

I'm about to make the jump away from PC desktop land and am seriously considering a mini. Was going to get an Imac but I'm in love with my current Apple Cinema Display and I really don't want to get saddled with an inferior Imac screen.

The big question: I'm currently using an HP desktop that's 2.13 GHz with 2 gigs of ram. If I went with a 2 GHz mini with 4 gigs of ram, would I be seeing a slower computing experience as a result of having a slower processor in spite of the ddr3 ram? Mainly using my system for Photoshop, writing, browsing and light video editing work.

Also, I'd be going from a dedicated GPU that's close to three years old (GE Force 7350 LE with 128 mb of dedicated video memory) to the integrated 9400.

I'd hate to get a better OS but have a step-down in speed and functionality. Am I worrying for nothing?

2. trose macrumors regular

I doubt you'll see a slowdown.

What is the 2.13Ghz CPU? If it's an older model, it may be slower than the 2Ghz in the Mini. Even if they were the same processor, it's a pretty minor difference which I doubt would be noticeable in most situations.

The 4 gig of DDR3 should more than compensate for any speed difference between the two CPUs.

I can't seem to find benchmarks for the GeForce 7350 LE, but being three years old and 128MB, I doubt it's any faster than the 9400m, and most likely it's slower. Unless you're gaming, the 9400m is a good card... and it can even do some decent gaming if you don't mind bringing the details down a bit.

The only thing I'd say would be any slower would be the hard drive. Again, not a huge difference, but you may notice that loading/saving large files in Photoshop or video work work would be slower.

Of course... the Mini has a FW800 port so you could get a very fast external drive if you so wished.

I think if you're looking to make the jump to a Mac, already have a good monitor, and aren't concerned with high end gaming or very intensive computing (and it sounds like you're not)... the Mini is a good choice.

3. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

Thanks Trose! My current processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo 6420 at 213 GHz. Do the new mini's come with snappier processors?

4. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Even if they had the same processors, the Mac mini would be faster simply because OS X is faster and more stable than Windows.

Overall, everything should be faster.

5. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

To be honest I can't find a difference between the ACD and the one that comes with the Imac

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If you have a slowdown, it will be because of the hard drive. the mac mini uses a laptop hard drive, at 5400 rpm. you can upgrade that, and it should make a big performance difference.

7. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

Really? I see non-uniform brightness on the Imac screens, as well as some backlight bleed.

8. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Only if it's in these new models, because on the previous ones I never noticed that

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Based on your screenname, you can modify the mini to suit your needs.